+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Removing deck posts

Well.. I bought a farm jack. I did bolt 2x4's to the top to keep the jack from tilting forward and that worked well.

It appears that half of my posts are old, without concrete, set to a depth of about 3 feet. I have gotten 3 of those out so far.

I am having some trouble with the strength of my connection between the chain and the jack. I used some random S hooks I had laying around and those bent quite easily. I am now thinking I should get the largest diameter bolt that will fit in the jack opening (1/2") and thread the bolt through the chain links and the jack. This would seem to be the strongest connection.

I am also drilling a 1/2 hole through the post and inserting a bolt through the chain and the post for a strong grip on the post.

For the posts in concrete, do I need to dig around the concrete to loosen it a bit? Should the jack be strong enought to pull out a post set 4 feet deep in concrete?I dug down enough to expose the concrete edges and placed a brick in the ground for support and then placed the jack on the brick with the front edge of jackbase resting against the concrete, but not on top of it, so I do not prevent the post and concrete from lifting up. Is that the right procedure?

Thanks again for any advice.

My biggest difficulty right now is keeping a connection from the chain, which is bolted to the post, to the jack. Every connector I have used to attach the chain to the jack has failed. What is the strongest connector I can buy that will be as strong, if not stronger, than the rating of the jack? I have used S hooks and some other hook shaped item and they fail quickly. I am thinking of using the largest diameter bolt possible and threading it through the chain links as well as the opening on the bottom of the jack lifter. Good idea?

Thanks again

I am thinking of using the largest diameter bolt possible and threading it through the chain links as well as the opening on the bottom of the jack lifter. Good idea?
    Yep ... that's a better method than trying to use S hooks .... or use grab hooks.

The one on the left is used to pass the links of the chain through and grabs as you apply tension .... you would need the correct one for the size of chain links .
    The one on the right might hook onto the jack's tongue if the hole/slot is large enough.
    Last edited by canuk; 07-30-2008 at 09:27 AM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

DB,
    You stated that you have jacked posts out of the ground, concrete and all. Did you dig around the concrete at all? How deep were your posts? I have positioned my jack so it is not on top of the concrete, but resting on a brick with the front edge of the base touching the side of the concrete mass, I have 2x4's extending out so the jack stays vertical(My posts only stick up 6 inches) I have a 1/2" dia. bolt going thru chain as well as the post. I feel my chain and connection to the post is solid, but the post won't budge. Any advice you can give based on your prior experience would be helpful.

Thanks
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1435 View Post
    DB,
    You stated that you have jacked posts out of the ground, concrete and all. Did you dig around the concrete at all? How deep were your posts? I have positioned my jack so it is not on top of the concrete, but resting on a brick with the front edge of the base touching the side of the concrete mass, I have 2x4's extending out so the jack stays vertical(My posts only stick up 6 inches) I have a 1/2" dia. bolt going thru chain as well as the post. I feel my chain and connection to the post is solid, but the post won't budge. Any advice you can give based on your prior experience would be helpful.

Thanks
    Eric
    Anything you can do to ease the friction will help. You could dig around the post up to a foot. If your soil is dry, hard, and compacted, then watering to soften the dirt around the core will go a long ways towards yanking the sucker out of there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to get out 8 of 16 posts. The 8 I got out were not in concrete. I may just leave the remaining 8 to the concrete company we hire to pour the patio since they will most likely have heavy machinery that will pull out the posts, concrete and all, with relative ease.

Again, thanks for all the very useful advice.