+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing deck posts

A while back I posted some questions about our deck that sloped towards the house asking for different methods to fix the slope.

Well, I tore the deck out over the weekend and we are pretty sure we are going to replace with a concrete patio. I still have the support posts in the ground and I am assuming they are encased in concrete at a depth of 4 feet. I only have 3 - 4 inches of post above the ground, so not a lot of room to get leverage.
    Any ideas on the best/easiest way to get them out?
    I can always dig around them, but that is quite labor intensive and I have 16 posts to get out.
    I do have a pick up and could try tying a chain the the post and then to the back of the truck, but I think the tires would just spin on the grass. There is no cement or hard surface to get traction on.
    My concern is, if I leave them in the ground and saw off the tops flush with the ground, the frost heaves will push them up and crack the slab.
    As I mentioned earlier, I am assuming they are 4 feet deep which would be below the frost line here in Wisconsin, but I am not positive.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Eric1435; 07-14-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling/Re wording

Default Re: Removing deck posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1435 View Post
    I do have a pick up and could try tying a chain the the post and then to the back of the truck, but I think the tires would just spin on the grass. There is no cement or hard surface to get traction on.
    You'll do more damage to truck, unless you dig deep enough around the post then it will work.

My concern is, if I leave them in the ground and saw off the tops flush with the ground, the frost heaves will push them up and crack the slab.
    Remove it completely. Don't even think about leaving it there.

As I mentioned earlier, I am assuming they are 4 feet deep which would be below the frost line here in Wisconsin, but I am not positive.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I've use jacking attachment on fence post.

Click on the link below to see jacking attachment. It is similar to what I use. I think it may work for you as long you dig deep enough to loosen dirt around cement.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

If that don't work for you then you can always rent bobcat and hoist it out with heavy chain wrap around the post tightly.

Thanks for the reply. I will check into renting a jack like the one pictured. I have a neighbor with a bobcat, but he stores it away from his house. Perhaps I can convince him to bring it over if I promise him some liquid refreshments!!

Well the concrete patio vs a deck can be debated depending on where you live. In areas that have deep frost concrete slabs heave and will crack that you can bank on.

With the issue of getting the posts out if they are embedded into concrete 4 feet down it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to jack them out. The jacking method works great for fence posts simply buried in the ground, I've done this myself.

Don't get me wrong if the concrete was level with the ground I agree it wouldn't be as difficult.
    Heck I've jacked fence posts out with the old car bumper jacks.
    I usually use a chain w****d around the post with a couple of lag bolts to hold it in place.
    I was reading the OP's description and it maybe the concrete might be under the ground. This will make it a lot harder to jack when you're trying to displace the soil also, that's all I'm saying.

You can always drive a steel rod down beside the post to see if there is concrete . With only 3 or 4 inches of post above ground there is nothing to stop the jack from toppling. Some digging is going to be required.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the replies. I will dig around the posts this weekend to determine if there is concrete. I may buy a farm jack anyways because I know it would be useful for some other projects, and for under $50 it may pay for itself.

I will reply back with my results.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    With only 3 or 4 inches of post above ground there is nothing to stop the jack from toppling. Some digging is going to be required.
    Jack
    True, but with a bit of ingenuity a brace could be fashioned to the top of the jack to provide a strong and stable lift. I would imagine that something along the lines of two 2x4's fastened to the top of the jack to create a tripod would be sufficient.

BTW, nothing beats one of these for pulling posts!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce, if you are offering to come by with the tractor I will certainly give you our address.

I did not get outside to start digging around the posts yet, but in reference to the earlier posts, how do I keep the jack from toppling over? In the post by BigWalt I could see in the pictures that the jack was resting against the post as it was being jacked out. How exactly do I attach 2x4's to the jack?

It also appears that the attachment for the jack, (the yellow piece that was dropped over the post), that was used in BigWalts attachment was handmade. There isn't any store that would sell an attachment like that? Seems extremely useful.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Eric1435; 07-22-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1435 View Post
    Spruce, if you are offering to come by with the tractor I will certainly give you our address.

I did not get outside to start digging around the posts yet, but in reference to the earlier posts, how do I keep the jack from toppling over? In the post by BigWalt I could see in the pictures that the jack was resting against the post as it was being jacked out. How exactly do I attach 2x4's to the jack?

It also appears that the attachment for the jack, (the yellow piece that was dropped over the post), that was used in BigWalts attachment was handmade. There isn't any store that would sell an attachment like that? Seems extremely useful.

Thanks again.
    Unfortunately, the tractors all went when we sold the ranch. Pulled many a mile of fence posts with one though.

Using the holes in the jack, I would cut two 2x4's a little longer than the jack is tall, say about a foot, so the jack is standing near vertical. Drill a hole through one end of both 2x's and bolt them to the top of the jack.

I've never seen a pulling plate like that before, but it does look like it would work slick. If you can't find one and don't have the abilities to make one, print out that picture and take it to a machinist or welding shop, they should be able to duplicate it quite easily. As for a retail source, I would check with farm suppliers such as Tractor Supply, Grainger, or local farm co-op.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!