+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: Experience With Energy Kinetics System 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick39 View Post
    Very well then. Thanks for your posts!! I will post again once the system is installed.
    We never had the Energy Kinetics system installed. We now have natural gas on our block. We are going to have a wall mounted NAVIEN condensing combination boiler/tankless water heater installed. They install System 2000 only if we would have still had oil.

Just looking at this site years after my first post - sorry if this is irrelevant at this point.

My cost was $8600 for the EK-1 and a 45-gallon SuperStor Ultra indirect water heater. My contractor said it was more reliable and had a better warranty than the plate heat exchanger and tank from EK. They used my existing chimney and said the SS liner was not necessary. I suspect the liner is quite expensive, whereas the pressure reducer is only about $150.

I'm extremely satisfied and will post a more detailed update somewhere on this thread, when I figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by sativa36 View Post
    How much was your installation? I got a quote of $13775. Seems really high. It includes a new stainless chimney liner (30 feet) and the Ek1 system w/ 40 gal tank and also a pressure reduction valve for incoming water to the house.

Im replacing a 40 yr old HB Smith with a cracked casing. He says the liner is required by code now and the pressure valve will prevent stress on my system. But $13775 is $7K more than a weil-mclain system another guy offered...

any ideas??

thanks

Okay, here is my long (and long overdue) follow up. My apologies to anyone who has been anxiously awaiting this for the last few years.

It's been over 5 years since installing the System 2000 boiler & SuperStor Ultra indirect water heater, and I LOVE IT. Our average annual oil usage since 9/2008 is 390 gallons!!! The average for the 8 prior years was 640, so roughly 40% savings without factoring degree-days (and that's with the t-stats set slightly warmer than we used to).

The system has been 100% reliable, tuned up annually and using Hot 4-in-1 fuel additive. We get plenty of hot water, enough to have both showers going with the dishwasher and washing machine running. No problem keeping up with space heating in our 1800sf house, with a .75 GPH nozzle (90,000 BTU) installed in the burner. A bigger nozzle adds more BTUs if needed.

The outside combustion air intake is fantastic. It makes for super quiet operation, minimizes cold air infiltration and just seems safer overall.

So far, I've talked 8 neighbors and friends into buying the same system, and we are all thrilled except for one person who had a few water quality related issues but prefers to blame the S2k. Six other neighbors who went with Buderus, Weil-McLain and Burnham (2 of each, interestingly) refuse to divulge any information related to oil savings, which tells me they aren't saving much, if anything.

During a couple of major power outages, I plugged my little Honda generator into the outlet on the side of the boiler control and had heat & hot water the entire time. Pretty handy.

Unrelated to the boiler, our incoming water pressure reducer failed at one point, which caused the water heater relief valve to dump some water on the floor, but that was quickly rectified by replacing the pressure valve and adding an expansion tank to the cold water line just in case. Something everyone should probably keep an eye on. The first symptom was loud banging pipes (water hammer).

Personally, I think the installer makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE with these things. It is a bit more "high-tech" than the average boiler, so the person servicing it should be factory trained before even touching one. I also think water quality can have a big effect on heating systems in general, and I'm considering a whole house filter or water softener to minimize wear & tear on everything.

Well worth the investment, as far as I'm concerned, since it has more than paid for its price premium over cheaper units and is close to completely paying for itself. Let's see any other boiler do that!

I hope this helps anyone on the fence, like I was. Do your own research, call and speak with the engineers at EK, like I did. They were very helpful in answering my technical questions and pointing me to the best installers in my area. Good luck! Oh, and I subscribed to the thread this time, so I might reply sooner than 4 years if anyone has questions.

Does anyone have a reference for a good System 2000 repair/service company in the Coastal NH, Southern Maine area?
    I am purchasing a home that has a System 2000 that needs repair and wanted to hire someone familiar with its operation.

Call Energy Kinetics Customer Service. They'll make some recommendations for a dealer in your area
    Last edited by jim hankinson; 02-26-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Paul Sc,

My 27 year old Burnham is leaking. I found this thread after Poole's Burner Service (Raymond, NH) recomended System 2000 as the replacement. He says hes factory trained and has lots of experience with the brand. I dont have a ton of history with them, but the few times Ive needed them they were punctual and professional. Hope this helps.

Tom