+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Experience With Energy Kinetics System 2000

Going on fourth winter, with oil fired ek 1........nice unit very fast quiet and efficient////////had problems with lighning strikes on hilltop house.....blew out computer on furnace,3x. AS for longevity who knows? energy kinetics has good tech help and decent proration on pressure vessel..........alot of guys don't like them because they are non traditional and have not learned how they function. I burn 750 gallons in 2800 square foot house ,mega foam insulation, with radiant heat , we keep thermostats at 65 degrees and we live in nh pretty good!.....by the way the digital energy managers that popped were under five year warranty.......I like mine.

I've had mine since 1988. Overall have been very happy. Its oil fired, heats 3 zones plus domestic hot water. Consistently comes in at 86 to 87% efficient every year. I live in Connecticut in a 2900 sq. ft house, use between 500 - 600 gallons of oil a year. I built the house new in 1987-88 and it is very tight and takes advantage of passive solar through a good southerly exposure.

The only issues with the System 2000 were an energy manager module crap out about 10 years ago. There was core credit on returning the old module. I had an issue with the burner motor that required replacement but that is no different then any other system. And the back cover of the combustion chamber is cracked. About 5 years ago the tech used some hi temp caulk to fill the crack and its been fine to date, though I just had it serviced two days ago and the tech was writing it up as he feared its integrity was starting to come into question. I would think the cover fix would be a relatively easy and cheap repair.

Usually if the rear insulation board starts to crack, it can be reversed so the "better" side goes against the boiler. I reversed mine several years ago after about 10 years of use and should be able to get another 10 years from it. One hole does have to be re-drilled. Replacement is a 5 minute job and is not expensive.

I have an early 90's System 2000. It works great! I just noticed that the hot water outlet from the tank is corroded and is leaking. I got a SuperStor Ultra tank to replace the original tank, but the design is different between the two. My plumber was not comfortable changing out the hot water tank. He thought the system would need to be setup as another heat zone?

The Superstor says to use 3/4 inch piping, the System 2000 uses 1/2 inch. Is it possible to upsize the piping coming out of the boiler to route through the coil in the Superstor? The current tank doesn't have an in and an out connection, only a single pipe below the circulator and above the loop back into the boiler. I don't see how that the hot water circulates in the current tank, but it would appear that I could loop this pipe instead through the coil in the new tank. It appears that the System 2000 supplies hot domestic water from the boiler into the tank? I guess this would speed up the heating of the water in the tank since you get heated water into the tank as well as heated water circulating through the coil.

Maybe I just need a different plumber.

Is the Super Stor an indirect or a storage tank?

Quote Originally Posted by jim hankinson View Post
    Is the Super Stor an indirect or a storage tank?
    The SuperStor is an indirect storage tank.

The indirect coil is plumbed as a heating zone with a zone valve on the supply header. The tank aquastat will get wired to the same input used by the existing aquastat. The new zone valve will get wired to the hot water zone output of the manager. Part of the changeout process includes removing the plate heat exchanger and connect those two 1/2" pipes together. If they are just capped off there will be flow issues in the boiler.

thanks, that's mostly what I thought would be necessary. Now to find a Plumber or a Heating contractor??

We had a System 2000 installed in 2006. Because we have an old house which has not been retrofitted with better insulation and new windows, we haven't noticed much in the way of energy savings. But at least we felt like we had a sturdy boiler that would be trouble-free for many years. We opted for the boiler and hot water heater, and the cost was $6,000 plus.

This year, in late summer 2009, we discovered we had no hot water. I called for service, thinking the whole sytem was under warranty. Much to my dismay, I learned that some of the parts have only a one year warranty, and that, in any case, the warranty only covers the parts but not installation. So, to replace the failed part (it goes between the boiler and the hot water but can't remember what it's called), we ended up paying $200, half for the part and half for labor. I am pretty disgusted that a $6,000 system would only remain trouble-free for three years, and now, in the back of my mind, I have a niggling fear that this same part will fail again in another three years, or that we will be faced with replacing some other short-lived part.

Please remember that all of the components on almost any heating system have warranties that are determined by the actual manufacturer of that part. Most parts on most hot water systems are made by the same few companies, i.e, circulators, oil or gas burners and individual components, etc.

If the part that failed you was the plate heat exchanger, did it leak or did it scale up from minerals in the water? Mineral scale is prevented by installation of a Scale Stopper in the cold water makeup line. If it was a different problem what was it?