+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Experience With Energy Kinetics System 2000

I got my system 2000 back in 2006 and so far I've had zero problems with the system itself. The only issue I've had that since it uses a 10 micron oil filter cartridge I have to change it more often. Could be sludge in my tank, but I'm handy and can change the filter in 15 minutes. The system 2000 has saved me between 30-40% or more off my oil bill. With my old system and before a huge dormer on my house I averaged about 1300 gallon of oil a year. Now with the system 2000 and a much bigger house I average under 700 and this is with a family of six and four are women. I also have endless hot water. On the down side finding a service company who will both supply oil and service the system 2000 is hard. Since it uses so little oil it's not worth the effort for them. I recently was going to sign a contract with a local company and than read the small print and it said I must purchase at least 700 gallons a year and I actually can't do that. I contacted the system 2000 people and they sent me a list of heating repair people that do service in my area in case I run into problems I can't fix. But the only weird thing on the system 2000 is the system board and it can be bypassed and the system will run like a regular dumb boiler until it's fixed. And the rest of the parts are 99% off the shelf parts. So all in all I'm very happy I chose this boiler, it also can be switched to gas when gas comes to my neighborhood.

The best and easiest thing to do for the oil filter issue is to install a conventional oil firter in the line on the inlet side of the spin-on filter. I did that many times on both new and existing boilers/furnaces. The service life of the spinon will be greatly extended and the nozzle will stay almost pristine. The key to keeping the system clean from year to year is good filtration and proper burner setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jim hankinson View Post
    The best and easiest thing to do for the oil filter issue is to install a conventional oil firter in the line on the inlet side of the spin-on filter. I did that many times on both new and existing boilers/furnaces. The service life of the spinon will be greatly extended and the nozzle will stay almost pristine. The key to keeping the system clean from year to year is good filtration and proper burner setup.

Thanks Jim I appreciate the input, I also thought about putting two spin on filters in parallel and therefore they should last twice as long. But your way sounds much easier
    Last edited by NYDINO; 10-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.

As a newbie to this TOH forum, I have to say there's a lot of valuable info here. I'm especially enjoying reading through the threads of this System 2000 discussion, since I am planning to upgrade our 25 year old Burnham oil boiler in a month or so and... after much research... have decided... with a little trepidation... to install a System 2000.

Our local oil company installs boilers, including Burnham, Buderus and System, 2000, and the general manager has highly recommended the latter. He says they've installed quite a few, that they're reliable, save the most oil, and that customers love them. I had been considering a Buderus G115WS, but heard that the Logamatic controls were complicated to figure out and use.

When I talked with the manager yesterday, he said that Buderus would probably cut oil consumption by 10 percent or so, but the 2000 would cut it by at least 30 percent.

I have a couple of questions that I wanted to ask. Should we install a stainless chimney liner? Our 1986 2100sf cape has a 35 foot outside chimney (measuring from basement)-- well the chimney actually abuts the garage interior, so it's not completely outside. I understand that the chimney has a tiled flue in good shape. The oil co. manager says we don't need a liner, but I called Energy Kinetics and they said we should install a liner.

Secondly, should I install a Tiger Loop? Our oil guy says it's not necessary, and our current system has worked fine without one. But I've read several comments by System 2000 users (some in this thread here) saying that the TL solved many frustrating burner problems. Should I just wait to see if any issues arise?

The oil fellow did say that a spin-on filter would be a good idea, so I'll have him include that.

Thanks for all your input.
    Last edited by amazer98; 01-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.

My experience with System 2000 has been ok up until the past few weeks- I've had a few minor problems over the years with the system but nothing that really stood out. I did however recently lose hot water( heat still works ). I had an "authorized" tech come out and diagnose a faulty energy manager- the energy manager is a proprietary circuit board that can only be purchased from Energy Kinetics- I couldn't get a price directly from them when I called the factory, so I can only assume that the $895 that my 2 local "authorized" dealers want to charge me is what it costs. This is insane! It is for this reason alone that I would recommend against purchasing this system- they do have a 5year warranty on the unit but after that your looking at possibly $895 to replace a computer board that may take an electrical surge, lightning hit or just decide to die on its own- and is a vital piece of the infrastructure of your home. I am not a heating contractor- just a homeowner with an opinion.

Elmer, Read your warranty card. You will find that even after the initial 5 year manager warranty ends, it is covered by a manufacturer sponsored rebuild program. That means that unles the manager was totally fried by lightning or squashed by an elephant it can be rebuilt and your net cost should be about 1/4 what you've been quoted.

When John Marran founded Energy Kinetics in 1979 he wanted a product that not only saved a lot of energy cost but was reliable and inexpensive to maintain as well. That's one reason why almost all the components of the system are available off the shelf. Those that are proprietary were meant to be low in cost as well. After all, what's the point in buying a high efficiency system if it costs more to repair than it saves.

By the way, did both the authorized dealers diagnose the problem and quote the same price? EK does not set selling price of anything, that;s set by the dealer based on their cost, labor and markup.

Did either dealer tell you that if replacing the manager did not solve the hot water problem that they would reinstall the old manager and re diagnose the problem? Did either call the factory's Tech Support to verify the diagnosis? It's a free call for them.

Yes, one tech told me about the core swap-out program- but that that was between EK and them. The problem I have is that I can't get a real cost- it's between EK and the servicers- I fell kind of "left out in the cold". As far as the diagnosis, the first guy, who I didn't have confidence in,( but whose name i got from EK) put in the service board-with the service board ( which is still in place) everything runs fine. The second guy did some diagnostics with the old EM and thought everything was fine until it started acting funny- he then hooked up a brand new EM and everything seemed to work fine- so I told him to just put the service board in that the last guy left for now. The intial guy hasn't gotten back to me with a price yet ( been 2 weeks ).

With the service board in everything works fine-but I don't know if that totally verifies that the EM is the problem or if it's something else. I'm thinking of just eliminating the em and leaving it this way.

The first guy intially told me it was the thermostat in the water heater and that he would have to special order one- after he left, i looked up the part on the internet and bought it at home depot for $6, and quickly realized that wasn't the problem. I mean am I going to have to call a 3rd company to make sure this is diagnosed properly? quite frustrating

Basically, you're telling me that the authorized service people that were recommended to me through a phone call to Energy Kinetics are totally ripping me off- a quarter of $895 is quite the mark up.