+ Reply to Thread

Question cheating paint over paint

I know I can't find any articles to tell me how to do this because it is cheating. But I have some inch wide trim in my bathroom as well as my window sill that I want to paint over. I do not want to bother with stripping and sanding these small areas. I am well aware of how to strip, sand, prime, and paint the solid wood doors and walls in the bathroom but want to skip all this on such small areas. So what is the process? Do I sand at all? Do I prime? Or do I just clean the area well and paint the new color? The current color is a hunter green and I am painting it white. Can anyone give me some advice on the steps? Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: cheating paint over paint

Ther eis no need to strip and sand the woodwork prior to painting. Wash down the areas with a strong TSP solution and rinse well. The TSP will clean and etch the surface of the paint ready for the new. Use a good primer, such as Kilz or Zinnser 123, it may take two coats of primer, then top coat with your color of choice. The reason for the primer is that it will adhere to the old paint better than paint alone and both of the brands suggested are "stain blocker" type primers, so they'll hide the dark color better so that your top coat color is true.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: cheating paint over paint

Another process is to clean the trim with soap and water, rinse well, then wipe down with liquid sander. Prime and paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb