+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Washer Hose Flow Stopper

Ask Toh Featured A Washer Hose That Contained A Simple Device That Stopped Water Flow If There Were A Sudden Break In The Hose Leading To The Washer. Where Can I Find One?

Default Re: Washer Hose Flow Stopper

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you're talking about the small in line device that Richard demonstrated by cutting the line and no water came out. I believe that particular device is only for small lines like those that feed sinks and lavatories.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

They demonstrated it on smaller hoses, but mentioned it is available (and ideal) for washing machine hoses. Certainly someone is marketing this item although it doesn't appear on any websites that I've looked at.

Does anyone remember on which TOH / Ask TOH it was demonstrated?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCarling View Post
    They demonstrated it on smaller hoses, but mentioned it is available (and ideal) for washing machine hoses. Certainly someone is marketing this item although it doesn't appear on any websites that I've looked at.

Does anyone remember on which TOH / Ask TOH it was demonstrated?
    As luck would have it ... the Ask This Old House episode discussing this was just on tonight.
    Rich pointed out the electric shutoff for washers http://www.plumbingsupply.com/washin...toffvalve.html

the hose type of shutoff was for faucets as JLM mentioned.
    Last edited by canuk; 08-21-2008 at 09:20 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks...I'm familiar with these products, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Richard demonstrated a small item which gets placed between the hose and the cut-off-valve that cuts off the water flow when pressure down-stream drops significantly (much like the mechanical item you and other suggest). It was featured at a home products show they visited on Ask TOH.
    Last edited by LeoCarling; 08-22-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: incomplete phrase

[QUOTE=LeoCarling;33290]
    Richard demonstrated a small item which gets placed between the hose and the cut-off-valve that cuts off the water flow when pressure down-stream drops significantly QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean
    ?
    On the episode mentioned earlier Richard showed the cutaway of the shutoff mechanisim that is attached to the hose type unit.It wasn't something that you put on , it is built into the hose.

That small in hose unit will not work on a washing machine. When you ope a spigot you do it comparatively slowly so the unit will let water pass. A washing machine has an electric valve that opens suddenly, the valve would see that as a break and stop water flow. And as I understand the way it works it will not stop a slow leak it only works with a full open line.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The Watts company makes the FloodSafe shutoff hoses for both washing machines and stop leak supply lines for faucets, toilets, ice makers and dishwashers, they are not interchangable. After seeing that program the first time I went out and ordered these hoses for all my devices.

I also want to install the leak detector for my gas water heater, it shuts off not only the supply inlet but also the gas, it does not however prevent the flood damage from the hot water in the pipes from draining back into the water heater and leaking nor the contents of what is already in the water heater from leaking so I already installed a pan and directed drainage to prevent that from occuring with my last water heater replacement. This is the Watts specifications link for the Water Heater leak detecting Shutoffs: http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-WDS.pdf I am trying to source this leak shutoff system at the moment to gain approval from my local building department to allow me to install it.

Rich also installed a leak detection system in between the stop cocks and the FloodSafe Auto-shutoff supply hoses to the washing machine. The Intelliflow leak detector is what was screwed onto the stop cocks first before the special supply hoses. You can check the show description for the links. I haven't found that accessory myself yet which was designed to interface with a washing machine (you plugged the machine into the device then the device into the outlet so if a leak from the machine occured it not only shut off the water but also stopped the machine from pumping). Maybe it isn't on the regular market yet (early marketing samples from a home show?) or was withdrawn? If anyone finds this I am also interested in it as well. This is the link for that IntelliFlow System (also from Watts): http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...w.asp?catId=64 So far I haven't been able to find either the systems or the retrofit kits except through the watts on-line store. No luck with local plumbing supply either.

For the various supply hoses (including the ones for washing machines) you can visit http://www.watts.com for the parts numbers. The Washing machine hoses are here: http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFu...&pid=603&ref=2

The product brochure for all of the FloodSafe Auto-shutoff connectors is here: http://www.watts.com/pdf/F-FloodSafe.pdf
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 08-23-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: replaced a link