+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove a 6 Inch Border of wallpaper?

I have a 6 inch border around the top of a room. I am looking to remove this and paint the room. What is the best way to get the border off the wall? I have sprayed some water on it but the water just runs off and down the wall and it does not seem to soak into the border material. What is the best way to remove it??? And be able to paint the surface and prep work required after getting the border off the wall?

Thank,
    MMeehan

Default Re: How to remove a 6 Inch Border of wallpaper?

I used a steamer and sc****r with great success recently. Before using the steamer I was able to pull off the "finish" layer of the border leaving the adhesive/paper layer. The steamer was easily able to get the adhesive layer loosened up for easy scraping.

Wallpaper border is removed in the same manner as full wall paper coverings. You can either steam them off or use a wallpaper remover solution such as Dif.

But you don't have to buy solution, you can make your own at a fraction of the cost by putting a quarter cup of fabric softener into a gallon of warm water. The fabric softener acts as a surfactant that allows the water to penetrate the surface of the paper and loosen the glue. Once you can peel off the wallpaper's surface the solution will work faster.

Once the border is removed, wipe the walls down well with clean water. If the paint is semi-gloss or gloss, use a TSP solution to clean and degloss the surface. From there, if the paint is in good condition, you can just apply your new paint. If the paint is worn or chalky, prime the wall first with Zinnser Bullseye 123.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you don't have the type of border where the outer layer simply pulls off leaving the "backing" paper, scoring the paper will greatly speed up the process. For this scoring, I prefer to use 36 grit sandpaper, It is very rough and will scratch through the plastic coating that is on most all modern day wallpapers. You do not have to get down to the wall, but merely through the plastic coating and the inks, which also repell water. The goal is to get water down to the water soluable pastes that are holding the paper to the walls.

There are products on the market such as "The Paper Tiger" which has serrated metal wheels which punch thousand of holes in the paper. I DON'T LIKE THESE DEVICES. They often go too deeply and puncture the drywall paper with thousands of holes! This allows water to damage the drywall itself. The subsequent damage then has to be repaired.

Most papers now-a-days are pre-pasted with a cellulose paste. This paste is clear and cannot be seen. It has a slimey feel to it, however, and can be felt. It is important that you get all of the paste off as it can bleed through the finish paint and show as grayish stains. If you leave a lot of it on, it can cause the paint to peel up in tiny flakes.

Usually, after doing major paint removal, I would prime the entire room. Try as you might, you will usually miss a bit of paste somewhere. Also, it is common to do some damage to drywall in the removing/scraping process. The damage must be patched and those patches primed anyway. Further, the room will often be undergoing a decorating color change and priming is further advantageous in affecting that change.

Great Information... though I have never seen any kind of Streamer at any home improvement store and rental places near me they are more for the large commercial tools but I will look into it if I can't get it off by the way others have suggested.

THANKS!!!

MMeehan

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/1583483353.html

THis is the one I have, the B&D Steamworks.