+ Reply to Thread

Question Window Wells - Proper ReSealing & Drainage

My question regards Basement Window Wells and the proper way to re-seal the well to the foundation and ways to improve the well drainage. Recently, due to multiple days of heavy rain storms, one of our basement window wells filled with aprox. 3" of water and proceeded to seep through the window frame and find the low spots in our basement floor. It wasn't a "flood" but enough to be annoying. This is the first time this has done this. Our home is aprox. 30 years old and well maintained. I can see, from the dirt tracks in the well, where the water came from. I'm looking for methods to possible re-seal the well where it attaches to the foundation and am looking for the best method to redo the bottom of the well as far as drainage. The existing bottom is pretty well muddied up from this episode and I think the existing drainage material is trashed. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Muddy in Illinois

Default Re: Window Wells - Proper ReSealing & Drainage

Here' s a link to a previous disscusion that may help: http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=1387
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk,
    Thanks for the link to the earlier post. This does help. Redoing or upgrading the gravel bed in the bottom of the well was my first thought. It's good to see that I'm on the right track. As far as re-sealing the well to the foundation, are there any sealers that would work from the inside of the well? I really didn't want to dig up the outside edges to seal the connection, but it may be the best way in the long run.

Drying out in Illinois
    Muddy12

Generally the surround material ... corrugated galvanized steel or plastic ........ for window wells are just some method of holding back or isolating the soil from the yard.
    They really don't require sealing them to prevent water from leaking in.

Cheers.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks, Sounds Good to Me

Drying Out and soome to be Draining in Illinois Again