+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default no water coming out of tub faucet

I have a shower/bath that has a 3 hangle system. It has hot, cold, and a diverter. The cold valve works fine and water comes out just fine, the diverter works fine and turns from bath water to shower head, the hot water on the other hand doesnt work. That means no water whatsover comes out when turned on. So the only way water comes out via bath or shower is the cold water. It is like the valve isnt even working. I took it about thinking it may be a bad valve but when I swithed valves it worked the same with only water coming from the cold valve. The hot water works everywhere else in the house and even in the two faucets in that bath. Any suggestions. By the way this is house we just bought and are finding things wrong. It looks like the bath was fixed with new fixtures and tile so Im wondering if something was not done right in installation.

Thanks, Michael

Default Re: no water coming out of tub faucet

I'm a little confused. Did you switch the water lines and the same thin happened? If so then the water is either shut off farther down the line, completely blocked or may have never been hooked up at all. Since the bath was remodeled any of the three could be your problem. You need to trace your pipes back to where you have hot water and maybe you can determine the problem. If your water lines come up through a slab then you may have problems. You may want to consider running a new water line through your attic and down inside the wall cavity to the valve. Then you can cap off the old line. Even though the old line isn't working it may start working some time in the future so go ahead and cap it off.

Sounds to me that there is likely either something stuck in the hot water valve assembly, or in the diverter valve assembly, but it could also be something more complicated further up the pipe. I would shut the water off (both hot and cold) and disassemble the hot valve. Get a helper to turn the water back on and see if water comes out of the hot water valve body. If no water comes out, either there is an upstream valve that is turned off, or the pipe is blocked somehow - that could be a pretty complicated project. If water does come out, turn the water back off and proceed to also disassemble the diverter valve. Flush out each valve body very well in the sink, making sure not to lose any of the small parts. Then take a light and see if you can see anything at all stuck in the valve body in the wall. Try to flush out the valve body as well if you can. Re-assemble and see if this has worked. If not, you might be best off calling a plumber to further diagnose.

I would be very suspicious of the shut-off valve. The washers in older vales can fail and drop of the stem blocking water flow.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You didn't say what brand and type of valve this is, but....

Try removing the handle and estucheon plate from the hot side. Peer in there with a flashlight if needs be. If you can see a stub beside the valve assembly that has a screwdriver slot in it...try turning that counterclockwise.

Turns out you were right about something being stuck in the assembly. It ended up being an old screw and rubber gasket that were blocking the pipe between the hot valve stem and the diverter. I finally got the thing unclogged with the help of a wire coathanger. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Thanks, Michael