+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Question WV. pop that keeps on popping

lewisburg west virginia I have new house now 1 yr old, popping noise from walls and floors sometimes it sounds like a gun going off. contractor figured out that truss's should not be nailed too interior walls. walls pulled away from floor 3/8". still have popping noise not as bad. same contractor built house next door has very similar problems, but worse. is this normal or will this become an old house with all the noise. I understand that wood shinks and expands,but should I expect this for the life of the house.enjoy watching the show for many years about 20. contractor says house will pop for ever, it's funny the house in kentucky never popped. or will the pop go away, believe when cold hits the noise will pick up again. thanks doug

Default Re: WV. pop that keeps on popping

Do you have a basement? Is it finished or unfinished? Do you have exposed lally columns(steel posts)supporting beams in the basement? Is the floor unfinished(exposed concrete)? Notice any new cracks in the floor or walls?

WV has alot of problems with mine subsidence and slips.

Need the above info to help indentify/correct the problem.

Default Re: WV. pop that keeps on popping

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    lewisburg west virginia I have new house now 1 yr old, popping noise from walls and floors sometimes it sounds like a gun going off. contractor figured out that truss's should not be nailed too interior walls. walls pulled away from floor 3/8". still have popping noise not as bad. same contractor built house next door has very similar problems, but worse. is this normal or will this become an old house with all the noise. I understand that wood shinks and expands,but should I expect this for the life of the house.enjoy watching the show for many years about 20. contractor says house will pop for ever, it's funny the house in kentucky never popped. or will the pop go away, believe when cold hits the noise will pick up again. thanks doug
    I'm not familiar as to how cold it gets in your area but there is phenomenon that occurs in this area where it gets does get very cold.

This phenomenon is well documented with builders across North America and has been labeled as "Truss Uplift".... although the cause is subject to speculation.

There are plenty of discussions between builders and suppliers regarding "Truss Uplift" .... here's the short of the long.

Truss uplift is a fairly recent discovery since modern homes are mainly built using pre-manufactured web trusses for the roof system. Usually the effects can be noises and/or gaps between the partition wall drywall and the ceiling drywall. Typically this gap will open and close with seasonal changes to the outside temperature.

There is still speculation as to the the cause of truss uplift and the actual mechanics are not fully known .... but it is believed to be due to the design of the trusses.

Modern trusses are designed to incorporate triangular webs that are built with dimensional lumber held together with metal plates. Using the properties of the wood , these triangles create very strong structural components which minimizes the overall weight of the trusses.

The most current and widely accepted theory is ...... the temperature and humidity changes in the attic during the winter months affect different sections of the truss differently.

The area of the truss above the insulation will be subject to different temperature and humidity levels than the bottom cord buried deep in the insulation. This difference causes the upper cords of the truss to expand and contract in the cool winter while the bottom cord remains fairly static. This results in an upward bowing of the bottom cord because it is securely connected to the top cords.

The result of this differential movement is the center section of the bottom cord moves upward pulling on the interior wall or simply separating the the drywall and leaving gaps where they join at the ceiling.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps.

Default Re: Loud popping noise in walls and floors

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Well, you certainly took your sweet time replying to my thread!

I noticed you're quite adept at stealing images from other internet sights and copyright violations.

This post was in August you idiot. Thanks for nothing.
    Oh well ... you can't appreciate any help ... but others might.

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    Well, you certainly took your sweet time replying to my thread!

I noticed you're quite adept at stealing images from other internet sights and copyright violations.

This post was in August you idiot. Thanks for nothing.
    So Leslie, You decided to go the " unregistered " route ?
    You get " outed " so quick , it's not worth the time to register , is it ? Have a good day , luv .

You know, I can’t get this image out of my head. Its a short film clip of this little kid bringing a report card home from school. In the “Notes” area of the report card it says;

“Does not play well with others!”

Kind of sad when you think about it, a life time of missing life it’s self.

and look at canuk's reply, such a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    and look at canuk's reply, such a gentleman.
    Well thank you .... bowing humbly...

Well it sure was pleasant for the short time the member formally known as Dwarfwytch has been banned until her silly alter ego shows up.

Talking Re: Loud popping noise in walls and floors

You people are hilarious. I'm new to this site and I am just enjoying the heck out of it. Canuk, you're right. You're information was useful and interesting to me. I just posted a question about some cracked corners in my house and how to repair them and your truss uplift entry was possibly relevant. I have a Fleetwood 97 manufactured home. Looking forward to working with you all as I have a big siding job coming up this spring and I don't know my ... from a whole in the ground!!! Take care...Tanya
    Last edited by Tanya Forest; 01-20-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: trying to be nice...ha ha
    LadyriderHidden Content