+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Loud popping noise in walls and floors

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya Forest View Post
    I just posted a question about some cracked corners in my house and how to repair them and your truss uplift entry was possibly relevant. I have a Fleetwood 97 manufactured home.
    Glad you're enjoying the site. We try to keep things light hearted and informative, even though there are some who don't appreciate humor.

It isn't likely a truss uplift problem on your mobile home, the mobiles I'm familiar with don't use trusses. I'll go have a look at your other post before making further comment.

I think Canuk's post is both timely and excellent.

I love the diagram of the truss and its parts; there's no copyright infringement; it's simply used in this context for educational purposes, which has been allowed by law for years.

Leslie's self-hate projected onto others fails again!

Care to name names ?

Oh yes ... Leslie is at it again ... interesting how that nasty post mysteriously disappeared.

btw ... Shaun LOL

My home is 25 years old, I hear loud popping noise in the walls and ceiling. What is this? I would think the house would of settled by now. I have noticed some small cracking in my kitchen ceiling and nails that have popped up on my front porch stairs. What's causing this and what should I do.

In my house, I had a spot where there'd be a loud POP from the base of the wall when I walked down the hallway. The quick-and-dirty fix was to drive a wedge (like the kind used for installing pre-hung doors) between the sole plate of the wall and the subfloor.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I live in Oregon and have been looking all over the place for discussions about this very problem as it describes what's been happening in my house, built nine years ago. And while it's nice to know that I'm not the only homeowner experiencing this phenomenon, it's sort of frustrating to have to sort through all the bickering and namecalling, instead of trying to get to the root of the problem....soooo...let's grow up..shall we?
    Back to the issue..what are the fixes? I've read that everyone seems to be having the same problem with what to do? Do I need to crawl up into the attic and start screwing things down? Insert shims? Loosen things? Improve insulation? Just would really like some direction...I'm all ears! Thanks for listening.
    Jeff, from Oregon