+ Reply to Thread

Default paddle to hold sheetrock up

I'm installing a ceiling with my son. How do I make one of those T gadgets so that I can hold up the sheetrock while my son screws it up. It's flat on top. Thanks, the 57 year old mother

Default Re: paddle to hold sheetrock up

To make the "lift" take a full length 2x4 lay it down .... take a 4foot 2x4 and secure it firmly ( 4 screws otta do it ) at the mid point to the full length 2x4 .... forming the T.

If you want cut a couple of pieces of wood for braces and attach them to the vertical and horizontal at 45 degrees..... for added strength.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk's description is a good one, however.....

Look on craigslist.com for a drywall lift. I have been using one the last few days on a ceiling job and it beats the deadman method by a mile. I spent about $150 for one. You set the sheetrock on the holder, tilt it flat and crank it to the ceiling. You maneuver it into place and run the screw gun.

It has really saved my back, especially since these are 5/8" sheets.

Even if this is a one time use, you could probably sell it for what you paid for it when you are done.

A drywall lift is the way to go If you don't want to buy and sell a used one go to your local tool rental. It's a great back saver plus you can lift the sheets close to the ceiling and shift them into exact position. One person can easily handle 12 foot sheets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Drywall lift ?!?!? ... sisies ....kidding

Yep ... they can be great especially for DIYer's
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Drywall lift ?!?!? ... sisies ....kidding

Yep ... they can be great especially for DIYer's
    It's called the wisdom of age Canuk, if we listened to you young musclebound whippersnappers we'd still be without the lever or the wheel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Now see .... I learned from the wisdom of the older folk ... I just wish they would have taught me about drywall lifts years ago. Instead of sitting back chuckling watching me grunting and wrestling with those heavy sheets .... meanwhile could have used the lifts.

You know kinda like ...." go get the sky hook ".
    - Rush