+ Reply to Thread

Default Stopping the saw...by hand

Tired and power tools don't mix.
    I was out in the garage using a small table saw to cut blocks of wood for some project. When done, I shut the power and started collecting my work... but the blade was still spinning. I managed to grab the blade instead of the piece of wood I was reaching for, and knew instantly this was not a good idea. With my hand in a tight fist, I calmly walked into the house and asked my room mate (an EMT) "Do you think this needs stitches?"
    At the ER, I was told "we can't stitch that", so they just cleaned and wrapped it... I could have done that at home.
    Anyway, I still have a slightly jagged 3/4" 'H' shaped scar on the tip of ring finger to go w the 'T' shaped scar on the side my left index finger (from two separate playing w knives incidents back in my youth) Too bad these aren't my initials.
    Next time I get a table saw, I'll make sure it has a blade brake. I might even keep the guard in place...

Default Re: Stopping the saw...by hand

Quote Originally Posted by LI_BugGuy View Post
    Tired and power tools don't mix.
    That is the number ONE cause of shop accidents! The cure is quite simple DO NOT work in the shop when you're tired. Don't make that last cut, it will invariably be a body part you'd rather keep. I've seen more than one woodworker with missing fingers or mangled hands because of being tired and pushing on.

The SawStop while being a valid addition to any tool, is not the cure for negligence in the shop. There's still going to be body damage to whatever gets into the blade, just less likely to remove body parts and pieces. The best defense against injury is to not have any distraction in the shop while working, and to stop immediately when your focus isn't there or your tired.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!