+ Reply to Thread

Default What is propper way to install shower pan?

I am adding a 3/4 bath in a very wide portion of a hallway on the 2nd floor. 4'x8' for the bathroom. I have the walls up and the plumbing in. The sub-floor is 1x pine. The problem is, it is not level. The pan is 34" x 48". The floor has about 1/2 dip and slightly sloped. I will be using tile for the floor of the entire bath with the exception of the shower pan. Wondering the propper way to prepare the area under the shower pan. Specificially what to use for leveling and supporting the pan? I have read to use mortar, but what type? Should I lay down underlayment first?

Also opinion on walls. We are going to tile half way up the walls. Is greenboard good enough, or should I go with duroc or some other backer? Then what about top half? Never done a bath before.

Thanks

Ben

Default Re: What is propper way to install shower pan?

To be honest ... if you are set on using tile for the shower I would srongly recommend using the Schluter Kerdi Shower system.
    I's pretty much bullet proof for waterproofing the shower area behind the tiles.

http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

For an extra measure cement backer board can be used instead of the moisture resistant drywall under the Schluter system.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: What is propper way to install shower pan?

I already have a Kohler shower pan. Tile is going to be used for shower walls, rest of the bathroom floor. And half way up the remainder of the walls.

I want to propperly set the pan in the floor, which the instructions call for morter to help support the pan from cracking. I just don't know how to propperly prepare the area.