+ Reply to Thread

Default Moaning, Tugboat horn in my walls! (lol)

okay....new here! (hi everyone).....just last night...i heard this moaning, tugboat horn sounding noise in my wall upstairs. It didn't alarm me in that i was raised in older homes...and it sounds to me like some sort of plumbing or pipe issue. My question/concern is that it's happening sporatically and i dont know whats causing it. it happened about 10 minutes later then stopped. now today it has been happening randomly...once every 5 minutes for an hour...then nothing for 2 hours...then again randomly etc.

we are NOT turning on the water then hearing this. so....where would i even begin to track down the sound etc. it DOES sound louder upstairs between the master bath & the guest bath. So....ummm....?????

any ideas? i would hire someone, but then what do i say...."there's moaning in my walls...can you fix it?".....or i would do it myself...which is why i'm here.

anyhow...hope someone can start me off in the right direction..and thank you for listening to my goofy inquiry. THANK YOU ahead of time!

Default Re: Moaning, Tugboat horn in my walls! (lol)

Check your toilets to see if they are leaking water into the bowl from the tank. The noise could be the fill valve in the tank barely opening and re-filling the tank. Put a drop or two of blue dye in the tank and see if it shows up in the bowl - that would identify which toilet flapper is leaking - if that is it.

Of course the other possibility is a ghost in the wall trying to get out!!!

Talking Re: Moaning, Tugboat horn in my walls! (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post

Of course the other possibility is a ghost in the wall trying to get out!!!
    Ghost??? You mean Moaning Myrtle.

Thumbs up Re: Moaning, Tugboat horn in my walls! (lol)

That's a GREAT idea! *blue dye*........so....i will do that in all my toilets. and if the dye goes into the bowl from the tank....i am looking at a seal?

(ghosts & moaning myrtles?....i hope not! hahaha)....Thanks for your help...will see what happens and check back if that doesn't do the trick!

**ciao for now**