+ Reply to Thread

Question Retractable Ceiling Lights

Looking For How To Design And Install A Retractable Light If I Could Find One. Hanging A Ship Wheel Over My Island To Use As A Pot Rack And Wanted A Retract Light To Come Down The Center Of The Hub. 100 Watts, Metal Shade. Its Already Wired To A Dimmer Wall Switch.

Default Re: Retractable Ceiling Lights

Quote Originally Posted by GRANDMA View Post
    Looking For How To Design And Install A Retractable Light If I Could Find One. Hanging A Ship Wheel Over My Island To Use As A Pot Rack And Wanted A Retract Light To Come Down The Center Of The Hub. 100 Watts, Metal Shade. Its Already Wired To A Dimmer Wall Switch.
    I remember those type of lights you are talking about. My Grandfather had one over his kitchen table for years. It was a one lamp light and was very light in as as far as weight. It has been years since I have installed one and only remember that the cord somehow when retracted went into a bulb like assembly. I think the wagon well would be to heavy to accomplish the same retracting resaults sorry
    Harry

Default Re: Retractable Ceiling Lights

If I read correctly, you only want the light to retract up and down... not the whole ship wheel.

I see no reason why you couldn't center the wheel under a ceiling box and attach a fixture like KENTVW so kindly provided. It should be able to hang from the ceiling and down through the center wheel hub like any pendant fixture. Am I right that the center of the wheel is open? If not you would need to drill a hole.

The wheel would have to be hung with cables strong enough to support it from the rafters and laid out so as not to interfere with the cord.

I have a 1950's split level with one of those exact lights over my dining room table. I'd be glad to let you have it if only I wasn't still using it. Maybe in another year or so....
    But mine is a straight cord connected to the ceiling with a bulb like thing about 3 feet from the ceiling like Harry described. It stores the retractable cord gizmo and the whole thing is very lightweight and still functional. It even has two bulbs and a built in toggle switch to dim the bulbs for those romantic dinners. Very cool...
    Last edited by xyxoxy; 07-12-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: oops