+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a panel to a garage door

I found a really nice used garage door for sale off of a newer home that is 16 x 7, and my garage door opening is 16 x 8. Is it possible to add a panel to a garage door, like one with window panes, to an existing garage door to make it fit my garage? Do yo have any idea the cost of one panel and what I'd need to find out about the door to make sure the panel would work ok with it?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Adding a panel to a garage door

It is possible, though not likely, that you can purchase an additional panel from the manufacturer of the door, or a door company who deals with this brand of door. The reason is that the height of each panel changes slightly depending on the opening height so that each panel is the same dimension and aesthetically pleasing. The overall dimension of the door must fit the opening or you start having clearance problems between the door, track, and structure.

Look for brand/model markings on and around the locks (inside and out ), or on the shoe rail or head rail. If you can't find any markings, it's possible that an experienced door company would recognize the brand if they were to see it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Adding a panel to a garage door

Quote Originally Posted by TjSkye View Post
    I found a really nice used garage door for sale off of a newer home that is 16 x 7, and my garage door opening is 16 x 8. Is it possible to add a panel to a garage door, like one with window panes, to an existing garage door to make it fit my garage? Do yo have any idea the cost of one panel and what I'd need to find out about the door to make sure the panel would work ok with it?
    Thank you!
    I believe that it's possible to add a panel to a garage door as you said.

Once, I had such kind of problem. I didn't know what I suppose to do so I contacted garage doors Leeds company from my city and they solved my problem.

I would suggest to contact any local service company and they will help you.
    Last edited by alexruseell; 08-04-2008 at 02:35 PM.