+ Reply to Thread

Red face ceiling for 3 season room

I live in Chicago and have built a 3 season room. It will be heated only in the spring and fall. Not during the winter. It will not have AC either. THe inside is framed out and still needs to be finished. I want to put a wood ceiling in to change the look. However, because it will be exposed to the extreme temperatures of hot and cold I don't know what kind of wood I should use. Or if I should use the faux wood they use on decks and fences? Any suggestions would really be appreciate. THank you. Susieski.

Default Re: ceiling for 3 season room

I have a porch on my 1924 house that looks to have a pine beadboard ceiling and it's original and in fairly decent shape. It's been stained a dark walnut color and I re-shellaced it when I moved in and it's in good shape. The porch is enclosed but has bad windows so it goes from hot in the summer to very cold in the winter. When I helped my dad with his new porch, we installed pine beadboard (wider than mine) on the ceiling and I think he polyurethaned it and it looks as good now as it did when new 10 years ago.

I think because it's on the ceiling the wood doesn't really get hit with the elements and only temperature affects it so it seems to hold up really well. I think the only advice would be to not butt the ends tight to the walls to allow for some expansion and contraction due to the temperature and humidity changes and put up a crown molding to hide the 1/4" gap.