+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood Flooring

I am about to install hardwood flooring in my home, and I was wondering what finish and wood species to chose being a dog owner. Please help

Default Re: Hardwood Flooring

In my experience it really doesn't matter which species of wood since for dog traffic it will be the finish that will be marked ... regardless of the finish.

One thing to consider ... if you go for a light colored floor it won't show the marks as much from any traffic as opposed to a darker color.

Just 2 cents .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    In my experience it really doesn't matter which species of wood since for dog traffic it will be the finish that will be marked ... regardless of the finish.

One thing to consider ... if you go for a light colored floor it won't show the marks as much from any traffic as opposed to a darker color.

Just 2 cents .
    Canuk is right..
    But Pine and Bamboo are the softest woods
    Oak and Maple are very hard
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Canuk is right..
    But Pine and Bamboo are the softest woods
    Oak and Maple are very hard
    I second that, however, I had a Kahr's oak floor and it marked and marred easily. Kahr's has the thickest wood laminations and a tough finish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have no experience with this, but am looking myself for new flooring for my kitchen. At the Lumber Liquidator's site I read about a carbonized strand bamboo, prefinished, made by Morning Star which is supposed to be harder than red oak. The testimonials were reassuring (but then they always are) and included several from owners of dogs and other entities which go click across floors. It might be worth looking into. best, M