+ Reply to Thread

Thread: caping the gas

Red face caping the gas

Does anyone know if caping the gas on an old wall unit, is something simple and safe to do. Or should I call the plumber?
    What I think there is to do:
    1. Turn the gas off,
    2. Remove the connection pipe, with a wrench.
    3. Place the pipe fitting cap over the gas pipe, make sure it is
    tight fitting, leaving no gas leaks.
    If there is more to caping the gas, someone please let me know?
    I don't want to pay a plumber for something I can do myself. If I need his/hers specialties then I will call a plumber.

Default Re: caping the gas

In my opinion there some things that just aren't DIY projects and are best left for a pro. .... this would be one of those.

When it comes to natural gas connections there are usually 3 entities that have a serious interest
    1. the gas utility
    2. the municipality
    3. your home insurance company
    You may be competent in doing things but unless you know the term " no bubbles .... no troubles " you might consider having someone that's a qualified gas fitter perform this.

If it was just a water pipe .... the worst that would happen would be a little water damage if it leaked ..... compared to a gas leak you could wipe out your home along with the neighbors.

It shouldn't be overly expensive to simply cap the pipe ... besides it's a small price to pay knowing it's done properly and safely.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Natural gas from a utility or propane?

Just installing a plug to a former gas connection can be problematic as often an older gas valve serving the connection point can later leak.

Usually the valve and stub are removed and the area re-piped. If propane the local regulator for the appliance would also be removed, same goes for a drip leg. Normally you don't leave a stub out, and normally plugs and old connection points aren't allowed to be burried in a wall cavity, hidden behind cabinets, etc.

It depends mostly on the type of gas piping you have as to the level of difficulty, for example, if you have threaded black pipe or copper, etc.

Some areas have requirements which prohibit this work DIY and require a pipe fitter or plumber to do the work, some areas allow this work DIY with or without a permit.

One of the most common mistakes DIY with threaded black pipe is to use the wrong type of pipe dope or sealant (for water connections not Gas connections), another common DIY error is not securing before working, and causing another fitting up or down the line to become loosened and cause a leak elsewhere. One of the most common mistakes DIY with copper is using the wrong scheduled copper.

Sometimes an inexpensive resource for making such modifications is via the Gas utility, some utilities offer an inexpensive service comparitively to acquiring a private contractor to make such corrections, and will also check the remaining connections, valves and check any relighting for a nomminal charge.

You might also want to check with your local building department to see if they have guidelines or requirements for making such modifications or corrections, and which model codes with ammendments and/or local codes they apply in your area. Different areas of the country have different considerations for Natural Gas connections/pipes, etc., as the qualities of the gas itself can vary (e.g. sweet gas versus sour gas).
    Way to much information.... very confusing
    Harry

call a licensed plumber in your area

Agreed, hire a pro.

this is the way i would approach the 10 minute job: It might only take a professional plumber this long to do it right, but now you have peace of mind. The same applies when you go to the doctoer with a cold or the flu. You already know you are sick and there isn't a whole lot you can do, but you go, wait the time, and pay the money for the peace of mind.

Plumbers go to the school of life and hard knocks. Doctors go to the other kind of school. But, we are both good at what we do and you wouldn't want us to trade job with each other,
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

you might want to check but here in north florida plumbers aren't allowed to mess with live gas lines at all. as well as their liability insurance doesn't always cover them if they are messing with live gas lines. I would call the gas company or city utility first who ever it falls under. you know if it goes boom then its to late to say I should have......