Re: Older house with Wiring Dilemma
It's not uncommon to find homes of that vintage to have only 2 ( depending on the size ) circuits feeding the main living space .
You have to remember back in the day the electrical needs were far less than today.
For example ... my house is early 50's and the main living space ... including kitchen and bath ... is feed by 2 circuits ..... basically the house is split in half .
The wiring used in your home would be rated for handling 15 amps of current with a 15 amp breaker/fuse to protect the circuit.
If you were to switch the 15 amp breaker to 20 amps that means the existing wiring is expected to handle 20 amps of current.
Which means the existing wires would overheat and become a fire hazard.
In other words .... NO ... don't change the breaker/fuse rating.
"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "