+ Reply to Thread

Default Question for the Commercial Guys

I was installing a bit of rubber base on a commercial project yesterday and noticed something that I've never seen before. There were 1" holes every 12" along the floor. I'm curious if this is some new requirement in commercial or medical environments (this was a dental office ), or if this was something done by the previous contractor that was hired to repair a water leak in an unoccupied adjoining space in an attempt to dry out the sheetrock or wall interior.

It would seem to me to have created a reduction in fire protection and the potential for other problems. Anyone else ever encountered something like this?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Question for the Commercial Guys

Never seen it or heard of it. I agree if it is in a tenant demising wall it would compromise any fire rating and affect the sound transmission rating.
    I completed a dental office a few months ago & besides all the extra electrical & plumbing requirements, there was nothing like that needed.
    I would guess someone forgot to install an electric or water line.

I'm commercial electrical and do a bunch of medical build outs............... Never heard of it.

I should clarify, the holes are in the bottom plate area of the wall and are now covered by the rubber baseboard. The holes were found in both the divider wall between suites and in the exterior wall. I also found them in the toe-kick area of a laminate faced corner pantry closet.

Me thinks the repair contractor may have drilled these for airflow to dry out the interiors of the walls. My next question is whether I should mention this to the building owner. While I don't foresee any future issues here, even in the event of a fire, it is something that strikes me as "need to know" information.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'd say if they were visible to the building owner prior to you putting in the base........... Then it is his responsibility.

I constantly run into remodels with multiple code violations. I have a standard line on my bid form excluding corrections to existing conditions. If I make corrections prior to inspections it is doubtful that I will be paid for them. And, we even call for inspections knowing they will fail and then it's time for a written change request to make corrections and get paid for doing so.

Although I have seen this personally. I might make a guess that maybe the dentist wanted a anti-microbial spray of some sort. I have seen it used on bare concrete floors. Or it could be a exterminator spraying inside the wall cavities. But Either way I would assume they would be plugged when done
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    I'd say if they were visible to the building owner prior to you putting in the base........... Then it is his responsibility.
    That's the thing, they weren't. There was a strip of blue painters tape covering the holes. At first glance the tape appeared to either hold protective floor cover during repairs, or as a paint shield, however there was no remnants of protective covering and no paint spatter on the tape, leading me to believe that the tape was deliberately placed to cover the holes from view.

Hmmm.

Well, I'm a corporate CYA kinda guy. So with that if I were to get involved I'd probably handle it with a very short, to the point letter. Not saying that is an issue but rather that you wanted to make the owner aware as you are not sure if it is an issue or not and keep a copy for your file.

Did you pull any permits for the project? I sill think any responsibility would hinge on your level of involvement.

No involvement what-so-ever. The owner just asked me to go put in a few feet of base because it wasn't done at the time of the repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Hmmm.

Well, I'm a corporate CYA kinda guy. So with that if I were to get involved I'd probably handle it with a very short, to the point letter. Not saying that is an issue but rather that you wanted to make the owner aware as you are not sure if it is an issue or not and keep a copy for your file.

Did you pull any permits for the project? I sill think any responsibility would hinge on your level of involvement.
    Yep ... good points.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush