+ Reply to Thread

Question Is there a checklist of some sort?

Hi again!

We've had my husband's grandparents' old house inspected. Everything pretty much needs ripping out, which I suspected, from the roof all the way down to the subfloor. The house, we found out, was built in 1946 & has stone walls -- right now, the outside walls are the only things that aren't gonna have to be replaced. The roof is over 20 years old, the floors under the bathroom & kitchen are collapsing, the plumbing & electrical are ancient so we're looking at a whole-house renovation.

That said, here's my question -- is there a checklist out there that gives you a list of what needs to be done & in what order? For instance, should we rip the roof off first or tear out the interior walls first? That sort of thing.

We just want to make sure everything gets done in the proper order so we don't have some costly mistakes down the line. We're already looking at roughly $40,000 just to update the basics (new roof, new walls, new subfloors & floors, windows, electrical, plumbing, back porch, etc).

Thanks again for your advice!

Default Re: Is there a checklist of some sort?

generally things are build from the ground up but I would suggest that you start with the roof. There's no sense doing any work inside if there's a chance that all your hard work will get damaged by leaks.

In my opinion:
    roof
    supporting walls
    foundation & floor joists since you're going to be down there
    exterior work
    insulation
    interior work.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Is there a checklist of some sort?

Thanks for the advice!

Here's what all we're looking at updating/replacing:
    1. Roof (completely replace)
    2. Floors, including subfloors & supports (they're rotten)
    3. New walls (hopefully removing a few for more room)
    4. New windows (old ones are rotten due to water damage)
    5. All new electrical
    6. All new plumbing (lines & fixtures)
    7. Complete the 2nd floor (currently an unfinished attic)
    8. New front & back porches

We also need to add insulation (it gets cold in north GA in the winter), figure out how to add heat (no fireplace & only gas space heaters), and landscape (the landscaping I can handle -- I've got plenty of experience in that).

Should we start by ripping the roof off & gutting the interior to the outside rock walls? Right now they (the outside walls) are looking like the only things we won't replace.

Thanks again!