+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Satellite TV

Default Satellite TV

Hello: We have a lake cottage circa 1920 that has an old 2+ story freestanding TV antenna next to it. We get VERY limited reception, even using this. I am wondering if we could mount a satellite dish on top of this (it faces the correct direction, SW), or if the metal structure would create any kind of interference? The second part of my question is this: if we could do this, would it be possible to get the satellite service at our house and then move a box back and forth to get reception at our cottage? Is this legal, if we buy our own separate dish out there? What kind of wiring is involved to set up the satellite TV inside? Thanks for any answers anyone can give me!
    Kathy

Default Re: Satellite TV

If the antenna tower is sturdy then it shouldn't be a problem mounting the dish to it ... may not be necessary to mount it at the top ..... as long as there is a clear line of sight and away from close proximity to power lines.

I would reccomend using RG6 coax cable from the LNB to the receiver.
    Make sure you follow the recommended proceedure for grounding the cable.... very important.

The place you purchase the satellite equipment should be able to provide you with information on what is needed for the installation as well the set up.

As for having a subscription at your home and then bringing the receiver with you to the lake .... sure thing.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have a question about this, don't you have to have a phone hook up to download the latest enable code in a satellite system?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have a question about this, don't you have to have a phone hook up to download the latest enable code in a satellite system?
    Jack
    With my directv system you do need a phone line, but I have been told that is no longer true with newer systems.

My understanding is that they are just receivers so how do they prevent someone from buying a used system and not paying for the service or building your own. Sorry for such basic questions , but I don't have cable or dish TV
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    My understanding is that they are just receivers so how do they prevent someone from buying a used system and not paying for the service or building your own. Sorry for such basic questions , but I don't have cable or dish TV
    Jack
    I have been told the coding on the all important card gets changed with a sat signal on newer systems. [The card is about the size of a credit card].
    Mine changes about once a week via the phone land line.

Well, looks like I found the right people to answer my question. Thank you so much, Canuk, J..Daniel and Ernie! I think that the antenna will work really well for the dish because it is an unobstructed view of the lake, looking SW. Since I have the experts here, I have a follow-up question. My husband is extremely handy. Is this a difficult installation? Is it a one-man operation? Or, should I try to find an installer? How do I know what kind of dish to buy? Does it need to be the same kind as the one I get from the service provider? And, last but not least: what do you think about satellite vs. cable (cable is all we've ever had). Thanks - you guys are great!
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by KP23 View Post
    Well, looks like I found the right people to answer my question. Thank you so much, Canuk, J..Daniel and Ernie! I think that the antenna will work really well for the dish because it is an unobstructed view of the lake, looking SW. Since I have the experts here, I have a follow-up question. My husband is extremely handy. Is this a difficult installation? Is it a one-man operation? Or, should I try to find an installer? How do I know what kind of dish to buy? Does it need to be the same kind as the one I get from the service provider? And, last but not least: what do you think about satellite vs. cable (cable is all we've ever had). Thanks - you guys are great!
    Kathy
    Most Satellite providers will install it free with a years service contract. All satellite require a card wich contains the serial number of your unit and requires a technician to activate the receiver. Dish network and Direct TV are two big providers. They require a clear SW view to the sky. As far as sharing it between homes that I do not know. The technicians are typically independant contractors and very friendly and will explain how you can share it if this can be done. Mine was installed about 5 months ago and required no phone line. I have Direct TV.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Most Satellite providers will install it free with a years service contract. All satellite require a card wich contains the serial number of your unit and requires a technician to activate the receiver. Dish network and Direct TV are two big providers. They require a clear SW view to the sky. As far as sharing it between homes that I do not know. The technicians are typically independant contractors and very friendly and will explain how you can share it if this can be done. Mine was installed about 5 months ago and required no phone line. I have Direct TV.
    You can do it yourself, but I might be bias being a Sparky and all that.
    You do not need anyone to activate the system, as directv & dish reps will talk you thought it. All they want to know is if you are trying to activate a stolen unit. No more, no less.
    And yes you can share it between locations.
    Two ways
    One buy another receiver off of the provider. Or sign up for a year and get one for free? Or pay twenty dollars for the card, and of course five dollars a month for the said card.
    Two. Buy a receiver at a yard sale for about three bucks, tops, and then buy a card off your provider. Once again for about five US Greenbacks a month.
    THEY [THE RECEIVERS] ARE A DIME A DOZEN.
    And there is nothing wrong with using an older unit, other than it might be up to date, techo wise.
    Just to add to the story, I have had directv for ten years or so, give or take a month.
    Good luck, EF.