+ Reply to Thread
    Marjorie Guest

Unhappy Zero turn mowers

I just purchased a zero turn mower.The first time I used it I thought I would kill myself as it turn so quickly. I was afraid of running myself and this machine in the lake I live on. I am having a difficult time learning how to turn with out putting tire burns in the lawn. What am I doing wrong as they did not tell me much when I bought this machine. How do I turn to go back without tearing up the grass under the tire.

Unregistered Guest

Smile Re: Zero turn mowers

Marjorie,

I would first go in a big open area, and cut the thottle speed way down, and practice that way until you feel you can operate the machine at a normal operating speed. Like anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice.

Default Re: Zero turn mowers

I've worked for a landscaping/maintenance (lawn mowing) company for 5 years now, and know exactly the frustrations you're having with the "Zero Turn" system. I think it's a great idea on paper, but in the field never works out.

Using the zero turn can cause a lot of damage to your lawn, especially a wet lawn, having either the stopped wheel digging a hole in the lawn, or the driving one causing a big skid-mark during the turn if you're going to quick.

This is one of the first things I teach my new crew guys operating our big mowers.. My solution... don't use zero turn if it's on a lawn easily damaged... I do a 3-point turn basically for turning around. Just like in a car in a tight spot.
    1. Steer in the direction of your turn with power on both sides
    2. Reverse in the opposite direction of the turn
    3. Forward again to complete the turn around
    (Hopefully my 3-point turn explanation is clear enough - basically you always want both driving tires moving to prevent lawn damage - therefore making the zero-point-turn system useless)

I have found that the zero-point turn can be used on certain lawns, usually the very hardy and dryer ones... but if it's a lush, beautiful lawn, I'd say it's best to play it safe and take the extra 5 seconds to turn around with the 3point turn system.

=)

Unregistered Guest

i would suggest a push mower if u r scared

I would suggest a combination of things. As the first response suggests, practice in a large open area, it doesn't necessarily have to be on grass. And then Red Hermit's suggestion of two things, always have "power on" meaning power to both wheels while turning and the 3 point turning method. Use just enough throttle to cut the grass well, but keep the machine at a controllable speed. The key to skid turning machines (yes, even the zero turn is a skid steer ) is finesse. Use slow gentle motions on the controls. One final tip, don't try to cut full swaths with the mower in tight areas, make sweeping corners or drive in and back out a few times if necessary.

As with all things, it will take practice to become comfortable and adept at the controls. Leave precarious area to a push mower until you can operate the machine safely.