+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Getting rid of a skunk...

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    A distance of 20 feet is still in range of the pellet rifle and out of range of an accurate spray . Besides , if YOU get the first shot , he is NOT going to stay and retaliate . Pain is a great motivator .
    well thats true I mean if you shoot me I'm not going to walk over to punch you in the nose or even ask why. just the soles of my feet and my rear is all you will see

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    12 gauge with #6 or #4 shot from 30' or so.

But...make sure the critter is facing you dead on and you hit the head. They'll drop like a rock and 9 times out of 10...with no release of the stinky stuff.

Don't ask how I know this.
    my luck I would hit the tenth one. a neighbor last year was shooting under his trailer at a rattle snake and blew out his main water line. so make sure its clear behind the skunk

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    my luck I would hit the tenth one. a neighbor last year was shooting under his trailer at a rattle snake and blew out his main water line. so make sure its clear behind the skunk
    Good advice.

Rattlers. Ugh. Glad we don't have those around here. If we did, I'd likely carry everyday.

.22 revolver with birdshot.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-24-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Good advice.

Rattlers. Ugh. Glad we don't have those around here. If we did, I'd likely carry everyday.

.22 revolver with birdshot.

I tried the .22 shotshells on a snake . Not very effective .
    .38 or larger is much better .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I tried the .22 shotshells on a snake . Not very effective .
    .38 or larger is much better .
    Hmmmmm. Interesting. Skin must be a bit too tough.

.357 loaded up with snake shot should fill the need then...if I ever move back to rattler country. Would probably buy a separate unit for that cause I'm sure it would ream out the rifling to some degree...*if* a guy shot that load alot. Sure did a number on the .22 revolver I had when a kid.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-25-2008 at 10:45 AM.

You guys are missing a ****en opportunity here. Catch the skunk humanely in one of those no-kill traps. Then take it over to your neighbor who lets his pesky cat come over into your yard and leave little mementoes in your garden. (I advise doing this when no one will see you.) Feed the skunk in your neighbors’ yard. Encourage him to take up residence there. Then let your neighbor deal with the skunk.

Quote Originally Posted by SherryH View Post
    You guys are missing a ****en opportunity here. Catch the skunk humanely in one of those no-kill traps. Then take it over to your neighbor who lets his pesky cat come over into your yard and leave little mementoes in your garden. (I advise doing this when no one will see you.) Feed the skunk in your neighbors’ yard. Encourage him to take up residence there. Then let your neighbor deal with the skunk.
    1. Why limit it to cat owners? Dog owners aren't much better when it comes to letting their progeny do their duty in your yard.
    2. It would be hard to keep said skunk in containment, yet still unleash its unholiness on the neighbors at will. - Cure! pick up said neighbor's progeny duty and return to said neighbor's welcome mat. A few of those treats and the neighbor generally gets the hint that their animals are not welcome in surrounding yards (been there, done that ).
    3. Humanely catching skunk and carefully placing it into said neighbors yard is a GREAT idea. Once clear, then proceed to harass the skunk with all means possible so as to unleash its unholiness throughout the neighbors yard.

Note: No critters were harmed in the posting of this message
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about catching the skunk and the neighbor's cat (or dog) and putting them together in the same cage? Then when the neighbor's pet is adequately perfumed then let it return home to its owner. The neighbor might decide it is not a good idea to let their pet wander around the neighborhood.

I knew we could figure this out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

some people are up waaaay to late. their minds and going to the dark side