+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Getting rid of a skunk...

The other day, I noticed a freshly dug tunnel in the ground leading under my garage. Judging by the size of it, I suspected that a ground hog made a home for himself there. But, after observing the tunnel, I noticed a small Skunk running inside. I donít want to just fill the tunnel, as I am sure a new one will pop up in a couple of days. I also donít want to but some sort of an impenetrable barrier around the garage, as I am afraid of trapping the animal under the garage and having it die there. Does anybody have an idea for forcing the skunk for vacate the house, as I am sure I cannot convince it to pay rent? Trapping it is an option, but I think that once in a cage the skunk will spray the area and me or whomever tries to handle the cage.
    Please help

Default Re: Getting rid of a skunk...

Skunks are nocturnal animals. Should be "home" during the daylight hours.

Stick a garden hose a little ways into the hole during the daylight hours and turn on the faucet. Sooner or later the occupant(s) should emerge. When it/they do...and leave the immediate area seeking cover....barricade the hole with a large piece of concrete, big ol' rock or similar. If no new signs of digging appear in an attempt to re-enter the hole, fill it back in with dirt.

If it/they do re-enter...get out the hose again. Repeat until the message sinks in. A second flooding should do the deed...if the first one doesn't.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.

I saw this on an old Ask TOH to get rid of an animal family from under a porch. In that case they enclosed the porch with wire cloth & made a one way door for the animal to get out, but not back in. Since you only have one hole, it should be easy to fabricate a door in a box to be placed over the hole. Hardware cloth extended under the surface or rocks around the box should keep him from getting back in. Many animals dig an escape tunnel, so there may be two.

skunks aren't near as spray happy as you might think. use a live trap baited with cat food. when you see that the skunk is in the trap simply walk into view with a blanket in your hand and just stand there for a little while and he will settle down, and go back to what he was doing, walk slowly but not in a creaping motion up to the cage and gently lay the blanket over the cage. once he has seen you and you didn't startle him he will be fine. transfer cage to back of pickup and drive several miles into the woods and let the cage just sit on the back of the truck for a few minutes before transfering it to the ground. oncover just the end with the door, open and walk back. he will walk out look around and take his time walking away, have never been sprayed and never had one just come running out of the cage. people keep skunks as pets though I would strongly recommend descenting one if a person was to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    use a live trap baited with cat food. when you see that the skunk is in the trap....
    When you see that your neighbor's pesky cat is in the trap .... quickly cover with said blanket and drive into the countryside....

Now get out your hose and flood the skunk hole....

All kidding aside....there may actually be a family of skunks down there. Not at all uncommon around here to see 4-6 young. If you catch and remove the momma, a guy might still have a big problem on his hands as far as the little ones go. I guess I'd sooner get a count on how many critters are there first via the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    When you see that your neighbor's pesky cat is in the trap .... quickly cover with said blanket and drive into the countryside....

Now get out your hose and flood the skunk hole....

All kidding aside....there may actually be a family of skunks down there. Not at all uncommon around here to see 4-6 young. If you catch and remove the momma, a guy might still have a big problem on his hands as far as the little ones go. I guess I'd sooner get a count on how many critters are there first via the hose.
    well since the poster said that it was a freshly dug hole I didn't feel a whole family was in the hole that fast. second I was trying to give a way of ridding themselves of the skunk with least anxiety, flooding the hole I don't think is going to be low anxiety for the animal and when it comes out may not be in a very good mood and might spray.

and as far as neighbors cat that isn't exactly bad idea either is it?

Flood the hole . When he comes out , bust his ass with a pellet rifle ( from a safe distance ) . Non lethal , but very persuasive . Repeat as needed .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Flood the hole . When he comes out , bust his ass with a pellet rifle ( from a safe distance ) . Non lethal , but very persuasive . Repeat as needed .
    do so with clothes pin already attached to nose so just in case that you are closer then you think. as well as stay away from garage for about a week

A distance of 20 feet is still in range of the pellet rifle and out of range of an accurate spray . Besides , if YOU get the first shot , he is NOT going to stay and retaliate . Pain is a great motivator .

12 gauge with #6 or #4 shot from 30' or so.

But...make sure the critter is facing you dead on and you hit the head. They'll drop like a rock and 9 times out of 10...with no release of the stinky stuff.

Don't ask how I know this.

(Actually, a .410 will do the deed very nicely...and just as well.)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 07-24-2008 at 09:49 PM.