+ Reply to Thread

Default concrete resurface

The concrete apron around our inground pool is severely worn. I have done a fair amount of tiling and wondered about the possibility of applying tile around the pool. Any ideas or other options? I used the quickcrete re surface product on my sidewalks last year but I would like a thicker, richer finish for the pool area. I worry about not achieving a strong bond with the old concrete. We live in Kansas so it will be subject to extreme heat and cold.

Default Re: concrete resurface

In my mind the tile wouldn't be something used around the pool.
    The concrete apron has a texture which acts as an anti-slip surface ..... whereas the tile would tend to be slippery when wet.

The other concern would be tiles outside in an enviorment that will subject to freezing cycles ... chances are they will end up cracking from any shifting to the concrete apron as well as moisture freezing under the tiles.

There may options like colored concrete with stamping to mimic tiles.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Something isn't kosher here.

How can the concrete apron around the pool be severely worn?

It is not like million people walking around the pool and wearing out the apron.

Could someone please explain this to me?

Thanks Canuk! You're right about the tiles being slippery - I hadn't really looked into what's available - thought I might be able to find something with enough 'tooth' to work or even a pebble/mosaic type application if I could figure out what would adhere to the existing concrete. Any suggestions?

YukYuk - Don't think we've had any heaving issues - no visible cracks in the pool itself and just a couple of cracks on the apron but nothing too significant. Like you said, years of weather extremes has taken its toll. Also, the house sat for years with no guttering so the roof runoff hit the concrete and that has caused some of the worst of the spalling. Am afraid that a Quickcrete type DIY resurface wouldn't cover the deeper spalls and don't know about the rubber tiles? Bottom line is we don't really want to turn this thing into a rose garden yet but don't want to sell a kid to finance a re-do either! Open to suggestions!

There are tiles made for such a purpose they are non slippery when wet, you would have to check with a tile company to see what would hold up in your extremes. I would guess you would need to acid wash the concrete before doing the installation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by diyordie View Post
    Thanks Canuk! You're right about the tiles being slippery - I hadn't really looked into what's available - thought I might be able to find something with enough 'tooth' to work or even a pebble/mosaic type application if I could figure out what would adhere to the existing concrete. Any suggestions?

YukYuk - Don't think we've had any heaving issues - no visible cracks in the pool itself and just a couple of cracks on the apron but nothing too significant. Like you said, years of weather extremes has taken its toll. Also, the house sat for years with no guttering so the roof runoff hit the concrete and that has caused some of the worst of the spalling. Am afraid that a Quickcrete type DIY resurface wouldn't cover the deeper spalls and don't know about the rubber tiles? Bottom line is we don't really want to turn this thing into a rose garden yet but don't want to sell a kid to finance a re-do either! Open to suggestions!
    well if you need one to sell I might have an extra around here you can have to sell