+ Reply to Thread

Default Wiring ceiling fan

I want to put a ceiling fan on my covered front porch for those hot summer days on the swing. There are no recepticals to attach it to. Can I take the female end off a 14 gauge outdoor extention cord and wire the fan to it then run it ten feet to the outlet on the porch? I tried it and only the light kit worked and was wondering if I need a larger wire or if it is possible to do this at all. I would run the extention cord across the porch ceiling and down the wall out of harms way of the blades. Thank you for any help.

Thumbs up Re: Wiring ceiling fan

Depending on your porch outlet and some other details there are a few ways to handle this... but that's probably not among the best ways to say the least.

I'll leave the possible code violations to the professionals here and suggest you look into extending the existing circuit by running metal conduit (EMT) from the outlet box to a surface mounted ceiling box.

I'm assuming the porch outlet is a surface mounted box that you can tie into easily but if not, that's something else to deal with. I'm also assuming you won't mind the look of the conduit if you don't mind the look of the extension cord (You can paint the conduit)

Of course you need to be sure that the breaker is not already overloaded and can support the added demand of the fan and light kit. And use the proper outdoor materials, wire gauge yadda yadda.

Default Re: Wiring ceiling fan

Quote Originally Posted by edavey View Post
    I want to put a ceiling fan on my covered front porch for those hot summer days on the swing. There are no recepticals to attach it to. Can I take the female end off a 14 gauge outdoor extention cord and wire the fan to it then run it ten feet to the outlet on the porch? I tried it and only the light kit worked and was wondering if I need a larger wire or if it is possible to do this at all. I would run the extention cord across the porch ceiling and down the wall out of harms way of the blades. Thank you for any help.
    Runing extention cords are not a good idea. The plastic or rubber on the wires over time become brittle and crack off. This is a code violation as pointed out above. The fan not working as you described is not because of the wire size. You must have missed hooking up a wire. most fans have a blue wire for the light and a black for the fan. and a white and green.

I suggest you buy a box extender and conduit or wiremold to extend that outlet to your fan. A home center home pro can help you buy what you need. It is safe code compliant and looks a lot better then a extention cord
    Harry

Default Re: Wiring ceiling fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    The fan not working as you described is not because of the wire size. You must have missed hooking up a wire. most fans have a blue wire for the light and a black for the fan. and a white and green.
    Oops! Yeah I forgot about that part of the question.

The black and blue wires can both be wired to the hot wire unless you want to put the fan and light on separate wall switches. Another option is to install a remote receiver device in the fan canopy and use a hand held remote. They run about $30 bucks.