+ Reply to Thread

Default Least Expensive Window Casing?

We're replacing all our casing and trim and thought staying away from mitered edges on the casing would be a money saver. I really like the "Arts & Crafts" look and it looks like it would save money on time on how they are installed. Would any of you agree--or am I missing something?!

Thanks!

Default Re: Least Expensive Window Casing?

If you're doing it yourself, I'm not sure how much you'll save staying away from mitered corners. Arts and Craft is usually Oak, not the cheapest wood on the market plus the proper stains and finish.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

In my experience the least expensive trim to use is MDF. The only drawback I would see in your application is that it has to be painted. May not be what you are looking for in that respect. MDF is very easy to work with and if you are not good at "tweaking" the angles, you can fill them with a paintable caulk and get a "professional" look. Good luck!

Thanks to all. Your replies have good points.

We are using stained Pine, and we will only do the staining and varnishing. The carpenter will do the cutting and installing. So in trying to save money, it was more on the labor side of the project.

I'm afraid your decision won't cut much off the labor costs. It takes just about the same amount of time to properly fit butt jointed corners as it does mitered corners for a half way decant carpenter, Especially is the window is not completely square.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-14-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb