+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default solar panels on roof

I'm thinking of placing solar panels on the roof of my house and garage. What price range should I expect? Will I actually save on electric bills? If so, how long will it take for my investment to pay off? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HouseFront.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	1280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GarageFront.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	1281  

Default Re: solar panels on roof

You will need to do some research to decide the intended purpose of the solar panel system.

For example ... is the intended use to be off grid or only for back up or grid tie systems ..... will determine the cost which all require more than just the solar panels.

Also check with local electrical utility providers whether they participate in partnership with solar sytems .... as well as State incentive programs for solar systems.

Here's a couple of links for some information :
    http://www.solarhome.org/

http://www.solarpanelinfo.com/

Cheers.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree with Canuk , if you think that you will be self sufficent you better seriously research it because the sticker price will shock you.

best answer search solar gridtie systems

I have had a 3 kilowatt PV system on my roof for five years. It offsets 100% of our electricity per year. More than we need in summer, less than we need in winter. It is grid tied, no batteries. With the cost of electricity so low, don't even calculate pay back period, unless you live in California, (payback is quicker with their incentives). It WILL increase the value of your home. There are federal and state incentives to do a project like this. Check out dsireusa.org for a listing of incentives. Also, check out Homepower magazine. It's got tons of practical information about renewable systems (PV, wind, biodiesel, etc.) You'll read about real world systems and costs and payback information. Have a professional installer do the work, findsolar.com The cost is not that bad, and they will install it correctly saving you money on fixes and changes that may occur if you install a system yourself. You can do it, but much studying is needed. Lastly, check out altenergy.com for pricing information. It's a retailer, but there's much information. Good forums there too.

Our 3kw system cost $25k, but we got $6K back from a state incentive program.

Good luck.
    jim

I would suggest you to check on this Solar panel factory.
    I bought my whole solar system from them .Their solar panel is so cheap.
    Their website is : http://www.shinesolar.net .Check them out

Hi
    The cost is totaly depends on the size of your home ..The size of your house is largely irrelevant, but you’ll need to look at your recent electric bills and decide how much energy you use in a given month (on average) and how much direct sunlight you get. A rough range for upfront costs, including installation, for solar panels, inverter box, wiring, etc., is approximately $30-40,000 for a single family house, if you are looking to entire replace grid-based electricity with solar energy...