+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egress Window?

Default Re: Egress Window?

I guess my reaction was that you ignored the fact that there IS egress. It's just that with a standard window it might be a couple square inches shy.

There's a big difference between that and NO egress. One is irresponsible, the other is a de facto non-event. You're implication was of criminal irresponsibility, and anyone would take umbrage at that.

BUT as I got defending the flip answer, it just struck me as going the wrong direction. My life is made worse by tons of non-compliant repairs made by generations of prior owners. None of the compliant repairs were troublesome.

Most of the time, even if code doesn't seem sane or smart, it turns out to be a good long-term idea. Debating the point is sort of like being philosophically penny-wise and pound foolish. What type of a world do I want to live in, one where jake-legs consider code compliance optional or one where the job gets done right or with overkill.

The answer for me is the latter.

So, while your response grinds my fanny still, on the big picture I gotta side strongly with you. My position is not worth defending. It was flip and cynical and inconsistent with my values.

M
    Our DIY Rehab Manual at Hidden Content

Sorry for the hijack.

M
    Our DIY Rehab Manual at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RehabOrDie View Post
    I guess my reaction was that you ignored the fact that there IS egress. It's just that with a standard window it might be a couple square inches shy.

There's a big difference between that and NO egress. One is irresponsible, the other is a de facto non-event. You're implication was of criminal irresponsibility, and anyone would take umbrage at that.

BUT as I got defending the flip answer, it just struck me as going the wrong direction. My life is made worse by tons of non-compliant repairs made by generations of prior owners. None of the compliant repairs were troublesome.

Most of the time, even if code doesn't seem sane or smart, it turns out to be a good long-term idea. Debating the point is sort of like being philosophically penny-wise and pound foolish. What type of a world do I want to live in, one where jake-legs consider code compliance optional or one where the job gets done right or with overkill.

The answer for me is the latter.

So, while your response grinds my fanny still, on the big picture I gotta side strongly with you. My position is not worth defending. It was flip and cynical and inconsistent with my values.

M
    Just to clear up the egress window issue:
    The debate here seems to be that most people could get out of a smaller window. While this is true, the code is not made for occupants to get OUT. It's made for emergency personnel, in full gear, to get IN. An average size person can fit through a pretty small opening, especially if threatened by fire! But if you are hurt or unconscious a firefighter with protective gear & oxygen tanks wouldn't be able to get in and save you if egress codes are not met.
    Just my 2 cents.
    -A.M.

Quote Originally Posted by abmdesign View Post
    Just to clear up the egress window issue:
    The debate here seems to be that most people could get out of a smaller window. While this is true, the code is not made for occupants to get OUT. It's made for emergency personnel, in full gear, to get IN. An average size person can fit through a pretty small opening, especially if threatened by fire! But if you are hurt or unconscious a firefighter with protective gear & oxygen tanks wouldn't be able to get in and save you if egress codes are not met.
    Just my 2 cents.
    -A.M.
    ??

e·gress (grs)
    n.
    1. The act of going out; emergence.
    2. The right to leave or go out: denied the refugees egress.
    3. A path or opening for going out; an exit.
    4. Astronomy The emergence of a celestial body from eclipse or occultation.
    intr.v. e·gressed, e·gress·ing, e·gress·es
    To go out; emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    ??

e·gress (grs)
    n.
    1. The act of going out; emergence.
    2. The right to leave or go out: denied the refugees egress.
    3. A path or opening for going out; an exit.
    4. Astronomy The emergence of a celestial body from eclipse or occultation.
    intr.v. e·gressed, e·gress·ing, e·gress·es
    To go out; emerge.
    That is the definition of egress but not a definition the the size standard required for an egress window. Adndesign was referring to the reason for the size requirement.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Dear Mike,

I own an egress window company. We carry a window that is a single hung window but also opens like an inswing casement for emergency escape. I'm not trying to spam this forum at all(for administrators), but you can see this window at www.bestchoiceegresswindows.com. You may have seen a picture of it somewhere and thought it was double-hung because it looks like a double-hung window. However, the top sash does not move, only the bottom sash. This makes it a single hung window. An emergency release lever is located at the bottom of the window which opens the swing-frame (casement style) which includes both sashes and the screen. And it is really a genius design. It is by far our most popular window because even a child can reach the emergency release lever during an emergency.

Hope this helped,

Daniel

Lightbulb Re: Egress Window?

There IS a Simulated Double Hung window that qualifies for egress use. It's made by Marvin, and it's a "tilt and turn" window. If you're not familiar with the concept, the window can tilt out at the top to use for ventilation, or can open like a "door". If you get it large enough it qualifies for egress. It has a similated check rail that makes it look like a double hung, and can be purchased with a cladded or a wood exterior. Hope this helps. Here's the link. http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?p...urn_And_Hopper