+ Reply to Thread

Default Water in the basement

I have a 1930s single-story bungalow in eastern Iowa. My north wall has water coming in from the bottom two layers of block. The water runs to the drain. There is a barely noticeable bow. I purchased masonry sealer and took care of the trouble spots.

Part of the issue, which I'm working on in the next couple of weeks is external. The grade of the north side of the house is about a foot lower than my neighbor's. There's approximately 6' between our houses with 2-2.5' on my property line. I'll add additional dirt to help slope the lawn, but according to my neighbor, the previous owner attempted the same thing and failed.

I know the popular solution for many is the drainage track on the inside with a sump pump. What is your opinion of the various sealers on the market? I like the idea of this sealer "absorbing" into the concrete block preventing water from entering the basement rather than just channeling it along the wall to a sump pump.

What's my best solution - addressing the water entering from the exterior, more than just re-working the grade? Or tackling the issue from inside? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Water in the basement

There is a similar thread going right now that is discussing the same problem.

Check this out.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=6726

thanks Sherry!

You are most welcome. I hope you find the answers you need here.