+ Reply to Thread

Question Install Beadboard Over Ceramic Tile

I would like to install beadboard over ceramic tile. How do I do it and what are the pitfalls?

I have ceramic tile, floor to ceiling. I saw "plastic" beadboard at the home center. I would like to install the bead board with the beads facing out on the lower portion of the walls and the bead board with the smooth side out above to the ceiling. This is an alternative to a full tear out which I really do not want to do.

Thanks
    Hans

Default Re: Install Beadboard Over Ceramic Tile

Liquide nails would probably work but you may need to find some way to hold it in place until the Liquide Nails set.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Beadboard wainscoting is best applied on a porous surface, such as drywall. Ceramic is non-porous, and therefore, has no grip/grab. Then you've got the issue of humidity, and the condensation that forms on ceramic tile. Yikes! I'd recommend stripping the tile first, however, if you absolutely have to, liquid nails would work (I prefer Power Grab). Sand the area down first. Just enough to add some grab to the ceramic.
    Last edited by hgerman; 07-21-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Thank you for your comments...

I understand the use ot Liquid Nails ... however referring to their website, I note that they do not recommend use of the adhesive between porous/non-pourous surfaces.

As for the mildew issue .. I was planning to use the plastic version of beadboard.

Thus, my question ... does any body have a solution for a good adhesive for porous to porous surfaces?

Thanks in advance
    Hans

Apply the Liquide Nails, or Power Grip if you prefer, on the grout lines.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Install Beadboard Over Ceramic Tile

Jack,

Thanks! That is a great idea ....

Hans