+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior painting steps

I am getting ready to begin the process to paint the exterior of my house. I plan to use a power washer in addition to sanding and scraping. My question is in which order should I proceed...power wash first or sand/sc**** first.

Thanks

Talking Re: Exterior painting steps

A couple of things here ....

1. FIRST apply a mold and mildew killer, such as a cup of bleach in a gallon of water, add a few table spoons of dish washing soap.
    2. Then use the power washer to get off what you can. Besure to protect plants and grass. There will be paint chips as well as the bleach/water.
    3. Note you may need several applications of the mildew killer to make sure that all mold etc is killed.
    4. Let all dry
    5. Sc**** and sand
    6. Use a vacuum cleaner or a damp towel to clean up seanded areas to remove dust.
    7. Apply a good exterior primer, alkyd oil.
    8. Caulk and smooth all caulk joints. I use a latex caulk and smooth with a sponge or cloth and a lot of water.
    9. Apply two coats of a premium finish. This can also be an alkyd finish.

Lots of work ... but if done properly the job should last 5 to 10 years.

Hans

Default Re: Exterior painting steps

I was hoping for more like 15 years, I'm getting too old for this kind of thing.

If you don't mind, I have a follow up question. I have read that there is an improper way to use the pressure sprayer when preparing the house. I assume that is to not spray directly under the eaves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans38 View Post
    A couple of things here ....

1. FIRST apply a mold and mildew killer, such as a cup of bleach in a gallon of water, add a few table spoons of dish washing soap.
    2. Then use the power washer to get off what you can. Besure to protect plants and grass. There will be paint chips as well as the bleach/water.
    3. Note you may need several applications of the mildew killer to make sure that all mold etc is killed.
    4. Let all dry
    5. Sc**** and sand
    6. Use a vacuum cleaner or a damp towel to clean up seanded areas to remove dust.
    7. Apply a good exterior primer, alkyd oil.
    8. Caulk and smooth all caulk joints. I use a latex caulk and smooth with a sponge or cloth and a lot of water.
    9. Apply two coats of a premium finish. This can also be an alkyd finish.

Lots of work ... but if done properly the job should last 5 to 10 years.

Hans