+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: pin hole leaks in copper pipe

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Tell what though........ I am swearing off on eating Idahoeans while sitting on drywall.
    No need for such drastic changes in diet. Just add some fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 04-12-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    No need for such drastic changes in diet. Just add some fava beans and a nice chianti.
    LOL-Well that one certainly took the screen and half the wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Watch out for Mr. Potatohead offgassing. He's probably made in China.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

your problem was a combonation of a circulator with no timer/ thermostat (plugged in running 24/7) and unreamed tubing and most likely exessive oil based flux your lucky the leak was right at the heater.. i strongly suggest having a plumber or sparky install a timer or stat on the pump..

those solder joints in your photos were very poorly done you can see the section you unsweated the solder only partialy took

I agree about the cause of the leaking. I don't know about excessive oil based flux. Your original post was what made me disassemble the whole system and replace all the copper. It is very obvious from the picture that the copper was not reamed and the erosion was immediately after the ridge where the turbulence from the water flow would be the greatest. This system was installed by a licensed plumber. He also installed other systems in houses in my subdivision. I have to assume their system has or will soon leak, also.

I have installed a timer on the pump but I think I would rather have a thermostat that controlled the pump. Any ideas on a thermostat would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just an opinion from a plumber, this erosion from turbulence from unreamed pipe is hogwash. It would not happen that fast.

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just an opinion from a plumber, this erosion from turbulence from unreamed pipe is hogwash. It would not happen that fast.

Shaun
    I was of the same opinion until I repaired my system. If you look at the picture of the short piece of copper, you can see that the sidewall has been eroded clear through. Each piece had similar erosion. The erosion was on the end where the water entered and it was immediately following the ridge left by not reaming the end.

I am not a plumber but I can look at the evidence and make an assumption based on what I see. If you have thoughts as to what would have caused the erosion on the the inside of the tubing other than water erosion, please post them here so we all can see them. I think that the ph of my water is close to 7 so I don't think it was caused by acidity of the water or something like that. The water was 130 - 140 degrees and was flowing 24/7/365. Bad copper? Thin walls?

Something caused the tubing to erode through in less than 4 years. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Shaun
    "hogwash" huh..? lol you have to look at the facts in this case.. to any "plumber" this should be clearly obvious. you are generally right about velocity erosion due to unreamed joints taking time to show in a regular cold or hot domestic system. but on a recirc systems it is extremely crucial to ream if copper tubing is being installed. The reason why it gave so quickly was because the circ pump running 24/7 with the combonation of unreamed joints and most likely too much flux wich prevented patina build up and left the tubing naked. when i pipe in re circs i even go the extra mile and install long radius bend fittings in lieu of a timer or stat. the op stated that his ph is on normal levels so i'm curious explain to me how you would diagnose this tube erosion.
    -Sean
    Last edited by djrenek1; 08-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.

You could be dealing with a process called electrolysis. This is like a cancer that will continue to spread. rather than emptying your wallet on repairs. consider replacing the entire line. Use a poly ethylene product.

buncha hacks on here