+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy "Weak" ground to outlets

The 3-prong outlets on one circuit in the kitchen show an open ground when tested with a standard circuit tester. When I test with a neon bulb, the ground-to-hot of all outlets on the circuit gives a weak glow (properly wired outlets show a strong light). Polarity of all outlets appears to be proper, all wires not connected to the outlets themselves have been twisted together and capped.

House dates from the early 1970s, but much of the electrical work in the kitchen appears to date from much later, though it was not particularly well done. No other circuit in the house seems to have this ground problem.

Any advice on troubleshooting and correcting would be appreciated.

Default Re: "Weak" ground to outlets

[QUOTE=Dan;27538]The 3-prong outlets on one circuit in the kitchen show an open ground when tested with a standard circuit tester. When I test with a neon bulb, the ground-to-hot of all outlets on the circuit gives a weak glow (properly wired outlets show a strong light). Polarity of all outlets appears to be proper, all wires not connected to the outlets themselves have been twisted together and capped.

House dates from the early 1970s, but much of the electrical work in the kitchen appears to date from much later, though it was not particularly well done. No other circuit in the house seems to have this ground problem.

Any advice on troubleshooting and correcting would be appreciated.[/QUO

Being built in the 70's time frame you might have aluminum wiring. If it is I would suggest you call a EC as there are numerous problems with aluminum wiring. Sometimes by fixing one thing you can cause another in that type of wiring.

If it is not Aluminum wiring I suggest you find out what circuit breaker controls the outlet in question. Open the cover and remove the outlet. Check to make sure there is a wire on the green ground screw and tighten it up. MAke sure all the ground wires are twisted together und the wire nut. If that doesn't correct the problem go to the next outlet on that circuit. If you have more questions come on back and ask.
    Harry

Default Re: "Weak" ground to outlets

If not aluminum wiring, it sounds like you have a loose or corroded high resistance connection. It could even be the one at the main panel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb