+ Reply to Thread

Default Priming old plaster walls

Hi everyone, I stripped my old plaster walls, removing wallpaper, old paint, etc. This weekend I attempted to prime them, only I discovered that some of the primer wouldn't stick. Any idea what the problem could be? Someone I talked to said I should use the Original Kilz versus Kilz 2 (which is what I was using). What's the difference? Is one better than the other for old plaster walls? Another thought I had is maybe the primer didn't have anything to adhere to because the plaster is smooth. Could that be the case? Should I sand the wall before priming? My house was built in 1925. The plaster is 80+ years old. Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Priming old plaster walls

I had a similar problem years ago on a small area. Someone recommended to me that I use a spray can to put a coat of clear shellac over the area first. The shellac stuck and the primer stuck over that.
    It might be worth a try for you on an experimental area.

Default Re: Priming old plaster walls

Did you use a steamer to remove paper? Did you wash walls down before applying primer. Primer may not adhere because of old paste, etc used many years ago. I ran into the same problem. Wipe the walls down, and yes rough it up if cleaning doesn't work.