+ Reply to Thread

Default New Construction Windows- Anderson 200 or 400 series?

Hello I am hoping for some good advice here

I have to replace a 59"x59" window that sits on the water side of my house. It gets alot of weather- wind, rain. So far thankfully no hurricanes but i live in an inslet off of long island sound, so that will come eventually.

What is there now is a cheap Home Depot glider window. the one I have there now leaks air and water.

I have decided to choose between an Anderson 200 series window which would run me around $300.00 or an Anderson 400 series which would run me around 3x that, $975.00 or so. I want a quality window there but I also have to consider that it's going to cost me about $500.00 in installation and it's getting to be an expensive proposition. Do any of you have experience with Anderson 200's or Anderson 400's? Is the Anderson 200 series a leak-proof energy efficient window?

Your advice and expertise is appreciated.

Default Re: New Construction Windows- Anderson 200 or 400 series?

I installed the 400's in our house and have been very happy with them. I installed the 200's in a friends sunporch and they are happy with their choice.

I would think the water & windproof performance is going to be more affected by the flashing done around the window during installation than the difference between these two windows themselves. Get very specific with the installer about the pan at the bottom of the window and the flashing details around the exterior perimeter and the insulation around the jambs.

After the outside is done and before the inside is buttoned up hit it with the hose and look very carefully for any leaks. You probably have a lot of wind-driven rain there so I would definitely do this before writing the final check on the installation. And tell the installer you will be doing this so they can take care to do it correctly.

I would suggest Integrity by Marvin. It is made from fiberglass and should fall between the dollar amount you mentioned. As far as flashing goes, I agree with the previous post, you MUST have it flashed properly.

FYI...

Consumer Reports rated the top clad window as Marvin Clad Ultimate (with the exterior clad in aluminum). The next was Marvin Wood Ultrex Integrity (with the exterior clad in fiberglass). The Anderson 400 Tilt-In Wash (Woodwright series) was #3. The Anderson 200 series was #5 and rated CR Best Buy. The 200 wasn't rated as durable as the 400 series. If you are going to buy the Anderson's I stick with the 400's for the better durability.

We had Andersen 400 series casement windows installed in our house. House was completed in August 2013, and is a wood frame, construction house. Everyone of these windows leaks air. During the winter, we had 1/4 inch of ice build up on the inside of the windows, 1/2 way up the inside of the windows. Andersen rep came out, said it was the bulb seals. Andersen rep came back, replaced all the bulb seals with Andersen coastal seals. Windows still leak. Andersen rep tells me that the house is still getting rid of moisture in the concrete, and plaster. Cannot be. The barometer shows that the house moisture content is 28%. We live where the winter winds howl in excess of 65 MPH. You can literally see the shades move back and forth. When the wind starts to howl, the furnace comes on and will not shut off or cycle on and off. At this point, I am very disappointed in Andersen windows. My advise would be to not install Andersen windows. Andersen has been manufacturing these windows for decades, all done by computer. There is something wrong with the Andersen process. These windows should not leak at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    We had Andersen 400 series casement windows installed in our house. House was completed in August 2013, and is a wood frame, construction house. Everyone of these windows leaks air. During the winter, we had 1/4 inch of ice build up on the inside of the windows, 1/2 way up the inside of the windows. Andersen rep came out, said it was the bulb seals. Andersen rep came back, replaced all the bulb seals with Andersen coastal seals. Windows still leak. Andersen rep tells me that the house is still getting rid of moisture in the concrete, and plaster. Cannot be. The barometer shows that the house moisture content is 28%. We live where the winter winds howl in excess of 65 MPH. You can literally see the shades move back and forth. When the wind starts to howl, the furnace comes on and will not shut off or cycle on and off. At this point, I am very disappointed in Andersen windows. My advise would be to not install Andersen windows. Andersen has been manufacturing these windows for decades, all done by computer. There is something wrong with the Andersen process. These windows should not leak at all.
    Consumers get sucked into buying these name brands windows, paying a lot of money for them...and they turn out to be sub-par quality. I've installed Anderson windows before - and I was not impressed by their construction.

I've always maintained that an excellent installation job is more important than the name brand.

Rather than entering the fracas regarding which to choose, just be sure that whatever you go with is rated to meet or exceed local building codes. Post hurricane Sandy many codes were updated with hurricane-rated fenestration now being required. Were it mine I'd get that rating on a window this big anyway; better safe than sorry!

Phil