+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Procell composit decking

We're also having this issue. We had an Azek (formerly Procell, I believe) deck installed less than two weeks ago. I have a Big Green Egg and had it set up on a piece of brown paper bag (to prevent scratching) and a 16" cinger block paver. This was the configuration of the egg when the sales guy came out. I specifically asked if that would be a problem. He said it wouldn't, just keep the egg a good distance from the railing (duh).

The egg was sitting on the Azek deck for only EIGHT days like this. My father brought up a table for it and we lifted the egg into it's new home. It was raining, so I didn't take a very close look at where the egg had been sitting on the paver and paper bag. The next morning, with the rain gone, the Morado Brown deck was now WHITE under where the egg had sat.

We've called our contractor and they're going to come out Tuesday to take a look.

I hit a spot of it with a hair dryer on high and rubbed at it. The white began to go away a little. I hope they can fix it.

We didn't even have this deck two weeks before this blemish happened.

Contractors should be required to hand out a "do's and don'ts" manual for the materials they're installing if they're this dang sensitive.

Edit to add: I love how their website says Azek Deck is "Impervious to moisture and insects". Is there a new definition for the word "impervious" I'm unaware of?

I'd be interested in any updates on warranty (to set precedents) or legal solutions to this issue. I'm a new member, so I can't e-mail anyone to follow up just yet.
    Last edited by JetSmooth; 07-09-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Something to add

Wink Re: Procell composit decking

UpdateWell it all sounds the same. I first did small deck to test it out. After a year it still looked great so I went for the full project replacing the deck around my pool. I went with the TigerClaw SS clips for the product, boy was that mistake as it installs the boards on slight angle. The screw from the previous board lifts the new board making for an uneven edge, I switched to different clips but had to bicuit cut every board.

About the stains, right from the first summer suncreen caused stains which I only made worse trying to clean. It looked OK when it was wet, but not dry. So this year I got some epoxy paint on the deck and I tried cleaning it with acetone, but it did not work so I tried alcohol which worked. The only problem is the acetone left a permanent mark. What I noticed was the acetone mark looks like what the deck looked like when it was new. I noticed that water would bead on the acetone cleaned deck, so I decided to test cleaning a small section of about 5 boards with a cotton rag soaked in acetone, and rubbing each board. The rag took on some of the color of the board but I still kept rubbing. My deck is the clay color and it brought back the color from the washed out white color the sun had caused. It has been 4 weeks since I started my test and it looks as good as the day I did it. The water still beads and it smoothed out any color distortions from the fading and past stains. I'm sure the manufacture would tell me I'm crazy for doing this but acetone at $16.00 a gallon is very cheap and it looks so good I'd be willing to do this every year or so if it works. I just don't know if it is somehow damaging the product. I'm not making any claims about this possible solution but so far so good. The surface looks like it now has a sealed finish. I used rubber gloves and chemical respirator and did not pour the acetone on the deck just used a soaked rag and rubbed until the deck was kind of dry. The treated deck did not soften and does not look to be very slippery even when wet. Any thoughts, has anyone else tried this. Like I said this is just a test, I might wait till next year to see about doing the rest of my deck, but I have to tell you the deck looks brand new. I'm thinking of contacting Azek to see what they think.

Update 8/15/11 I did contact Azek and talked to them for quite awhile about this, like the post below, it is starting show the dryness, lightness from before, but the stains are gone and at least the boards are aging to a uniform color. I also tried Aerospace 303 which also worked but gave me a slightly spippery surface but not bad. But this will age away also, but much easier to apply.
    Last edited by dcs; 08-15-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Update 8/15/2011

Default Re: Procell composit decking

When we first complained to Procell/Azek about our deck fading 2 years ago, they sent workers to our house and ACETONE is what they used to restore our deck color. The fumes and smell was HORRIBLE - drove us from the house. The "fix" only lasted a few months and then the deck was back to looking dull & faded. We are still back & forht with Azek over what to do now. Still would like to know if anyonehas successfully sued Azek over this bad decking issue??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by dcs View Post
    Well it all sounds the same. I first did small deck to test it out. After a year it still looked great so I went for the full project replacing the deck around my pool. I went with the TigerClaw SS clips for the product, boy was that mistake as it installs the boards on slight angle. The screw from the previous board lifts the new board making for an uneven edge, I switched to different clips but had to bicuit cut every board.

About the stains, right from the first summer suncreen caused stains which I only made worse trying to clean. It looked OK when it was wet, but not dry. So this year I got some epoxy paint on the deck and I tried cleaning it with acetone, but it did not work so I tried alcohol which worked. The only problem is the acetone left a permanent mark. What I noticed was the acetone mark looks like what the deck looked like when it was new. I noticed that water would bead on the acetone cleaned deck, so I decided to test cleaning a small section of about 5 boards with a cotton rag soaked in acetone, and rubbing each board. The rag took on some of the color of the board but I still kept rubbing. My deck is the clay color and it brought back the color from the washed out white color the sun had caused. It has been 4 weeks since I started my test and it looks as good as the day I did it. The water still beads and it smoothed out any color distortions from the fading and past stains. I'm sure the manufacture would tell me I'm crazy for doing this but acetone at $16.00 a gallon is very cheap and it looks so good I'd be willing to do this every year or so if it works. I just don't know if it is somehow damaging the product. I'm not making any claims about this possible solution but so far so good. The surface looks like it now has a sealed finish. I used rubber gloves and chemical respirator and did not pour the acetone on the deck just used a soaked rag and rubbed until the deck was kind of dry. The treated deck did not soften and does not look to be very slippery even when wet. Any thoughts, has anyone else tried this. Like I said this is just a test, I might wait till next year to see about doing the rest of my deck, but I have to tell you the deck looks brand new. I'm thinking of contacting Azek to see what they think.