+ Reply to Thread

Default Self-Leveling Epoxy Floor as Water Barrier?

Oh Mighty TOH Forum Gurus,

We have an old 1914 home in Seattle. About once a year, during very heavy rain, our basement would take on upto 1-2" of water in one low-spot. The concrete walls never got wet, and so it appeared to be a water-table issue. On the street outside our home, one area would stay wet for several days after everything had dried out - which is another clue to the water table.

We want to finish our basement. In December we had a basement waterproofing company come and install interior french drains and a sump. They have installed the system on two other houses on our street that user to suffer from water issues, and have been bone-dry since.

As the floor is an old concrete floor, it has no vapor barrier. I'm nervous about finishing our basement and still getting some minor seepage from cracks etc. during heavy rains. It's not clear to me how well the perimiter drains will prevent this.

Would pouring a self-leveling industrial (thick) expoxy floor help out here? Would the epoxy act as a vapor barrier and prevent any seepage, forcing the water towards the drains?

Other than waiting a few years/rain seasons to test the drains - any other advise? I'd hate to put a bunch of cash into finishing out the walls etc, and then have to tear-out and start over if we didn't solve the wetness.

Default Re: Self-Leveling Epoxy Floor as Water Barrier?

We live in the Seattle area and are going to have an interior drain system installed. We have had several contractors out to bid. Who did you go with and what was the cost? I am really nervous about our basement remodel, too, for the reasons you state. I'll be checking back to see if anyone offers advice.