+ Reply to Thread
    gwenk Guest

Default Flooring for damp environments

We just a very small 1950's lakeside cottage (it is year-round) that is in need of new floors. It's not very level so I'm worried about tile. But, I'm also worried about the moisture. I'm wondering if you have any advice on the right flooring to choose. Also, it is very rustic so I was thinking about using unfinished wood boards - I know I've seen it done on some shows but would like to do this correctly. Right now, there is some carpeting and sheet vinyl.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,W

Smile Re: Flooring for damp environments

I would definitely use ceramic tile for your floor. If the floor is unlevel, or uneven, try using either the pourable, self leveling material to make it level, or level it using thinset, like I have seen done on This Old House, and Holmes on Holmes. Once the floor is level, use Durock cement board over the floor, using the recommended cement board screws. Do not use drywall screws, because they will rust. If there are loose floor boards, use screws to make them tight, before leveling the floor. Be sure the screws are plenty long, so they get into the subbase firmly, preferably 3 inch screws.

After the cement board, apply a waterproof membrane, so the floor will always be waterproof. Finally, pick out the color and style of tile you like, then apply it using more thinset, followed by a good grout. You will be very proud of your new, level, and waterproof floor. Cement board is not all that expensive, nor is thinset, if you purchase it from Menards, providing there is a store in your area.

Enjoy your tile floor.

Default Re: Flooring for damp environments

Quote Originally Posted by gwenk View Post
    We just a very small 1950's lakeside cottage (it is year-round) that is in need of new floors. It's not very level so I'm worried about tile. But, I'm also worried about the moisture. I'm wondering if you have any advice on the right flooring to choose. Also, it is very rustic so I was thinking about using unfinished wood boards - I know I've seen it done on some shows but would like to do this correctly. Right now, there is some carpeting and sheet vinyl.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,W
    Perhaps you might clarify your moisture concerns.

Generally wood and moisture are not a good combination.

The idea of having "unfinished " wood floors wouldn't be a good thing if there are moisture issues.
    The other consideration with unfinshed wood floors might be splinters with barefeet.

I've known many folks that simply have plywood floors in the cabin ..... thrown on satin polyurethane ... more for a wear layer than foor looks.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Flooring for damp environments

I have a simular problem in a damp, seacoast setting in southern Maine. My floor is a concrete slab on grade with no vapor barrier or moisture relief. In addition, this is a summer season only property, subject to below freezing temperatures in winter. I'd like to replace the wall-to-wall rugs and sheet vinyl with a low maintenance floor, do-it-your-self floor -- VCT, Pergo, etc. Anyone have experience in this matter? Thanks!