+ Reply to Thread

Default Slick wood stairs

We have open wood stairs finished with polyurethane that are quite slick. I thought I had read somewhere about something that could added to a top coat to make them slightly rougher without changing the look but I can't find the article. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Slick wood stairs

could add a coat with some sand mixed in- ask at paint supply store...
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 02-04-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo

Maryr,

Timothy Miller is correct. There is a fine silica sand available at paint stores intended exactly for this purpose. It is very fine and not too noticeable even in varnish. In the past, I have used wooden ramps to aid in getting my powerwasher into my work van. I varnished these boards and then gave them one more coat with a little of the traction sand mixed in. I would only put it in the last coat, as any additional plain varnish over it will diminish its traction characteristics.

I have heard about a product called skid safe. http://ndclean.com/skidsafe.html. It sound like it could work well for you.
    _______
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.