+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question cat-proof screens?

Maybe y'all can help. I'd love to be able to open my windows and enjoy the fresh air, but I have 3 cats who will claw the screens to shreds and escape! Is there a super-strength type of screening out there? (not super-expensive, though -- I really only need enough for 3-4 windows) Or any alternative suggestions? I've roamed the aisles of Home Depot and haven't discovered anything that will still keep the bugs, etc out, and also allow the cats to lounge in the sill area. What do you other cat owners do?

Default Re: cat-proof screens?

Take the screens to a glass shop and have them strung with aluminum screen instead of the standard fabric. The cats might be able to deform the screen a bit, but they're not going to claw through it. After that, get yourself a squirt gun or spray bottle and fill it with water. When you see the cats starting to go at the screen, squirt them. Shouldn't take but a few times to cure them of clawing the screens.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you have double hung windows, drop the upper sash and install the screen at the top of the window. Even if you get a screen that they can't shread they will pull it out from the conner, I know.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A.Spruce and JLM offer good suggestions.

speaking from experience that aluminum screening works well though it can become distorted when they paw at it.

The other thing I found was a simpler and no cost method .... clip their claws regularly keeping them short and blunt.... works wonders for the furniture as well.

Hey Spruce....
    How about putting some coffee in a spray bottle and misting the screen?!?!

Or....a large hungry dog loose in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Hey Spruce....
    How about putting some coffee in a spray bottle and misting the screen?!?!

Or....a large hungry dog loose in the house!
    That's crazy enough that it just might work!

The clipped nails is a good idea, canuk, with the exception of if they're indoor/outdoor cats. You don't want to be messing with their defense system when the neighborhood bully comes around.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here's a novel thought , throw the little beggar's outside where they belong !!!

Yeah , yeah . I know ...........

Thanks everybody for your ideas! (except for you, djohns!) Didn't even know there was such a thing as pet screen -- I'll have to start checking into the cost of re-screening. (was figuring I could do it myself) And I would love to get their nails clipped (they're strictly indoor cats) but that's pretty much a budgetary issue! I think I'll give Jack's sash idea a try first, but instead I could raise both wooden sashes, and lower both storm windows, still leaving the screen exposed at the top, but unobtainable due to the double width of both sashes. (at least they won't be able to escape!) Maybe not the greatest for air circulation, but as my dad used to say "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!" ('cuz right now there's a storm window positioned at the top and the bottom, so there's no air coming in at all!) (ok, so it was kind of one of those "duh" moments!)

I knew I came to the right site for a solution!

BTW, these guys seem to like the squirt bottle thing, but I haven't tried the coffee version -- didn't realize cats weren't coffee drinkers!

And Spruce, I can identify with the whole OCD/CDO thing!
    Last edited by oceanview; 05-03-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: to edify

And I would love to get their nails clipped (they're strictly indoor cats) but that's pretty much a budgetary issue!
    That's the cheapest part .... regular nail clippers you probably have around the house anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
    BTW, these guys seem to like the squirt bottle thing, but I haven't tried the coffee version -- didn't realize cats weren't coffee drinkers!
    Just in case you haven't been reading other threads, he was joking - giving me a hard time because one of my tips for keeping neighborhood cats out of your flowerbeds is to spread coffee grounds in them. Works great for me, but apparently bp21901's cats are caffeine addicts and just rolled all the more in his beds after the coffee trick. At any rate, don't squirt coffee at your house cats, you'll stain up the place. If your cats enjoy being squirted, then add a touch of white vinegar to the water, the additional smell and taste may be just the deterrent your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
    And Spruce, I can identify with the whole OCD/CDO thing!
    I don't suffer from that affliction, I enjoy every minute of it!