+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rewiring house

Default Re: Rewiring house

I could make a night out of this thread.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Question Rewiring house

Hope I'm doing this right...

I'm installing a washer and need to run power to it, I don't want to hook up to any existing wiring, I want to run new wire from the washer to the breaker box.... How do i hook up to a breaker and then to the the breaker box without killing myself?

Howdy hire an electricain and watch and learn... The inside of a energized panel can kill you real fast so leanring this on your own is a poor choice. First is there room in the panel for the additional circuit?

However, you can get help where the wire is sold to purchase the right wire and if you measure correctly - too short is an easy costly mistake. Buy the correct staples, a male and female plug- want to check your local code to see if a 3 or 4 wire plug meets code. The right size outlet box a fish tape an on an on . Really an electricain is a better choice...

Quote Originally Posted by jude1c9v View Post
    Hope I'm doing this right...

I'm installing a washer and need to run power to it, I don't want to hook up to any existing wiring, I want to run new wire from the washer to the breaker box.... How do i hook up to a breaker and then to the the breaker box without killing myself?
    If you turn off the main breaker you only have to worry about the drop leads and where they are connected. That's probably the second safest way the first is to hire someone who knows what he is doing.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The NEC requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit for a laundry outlet receptacle. Meaning no other devices on the circuit. So you do have that part correct.
    The second and safest part would be to find an electrician who is willing to do the tying in at the load center, which I strongly suggest doing, if you feel it is not something you are comfortable doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, having rewired my grand old home (i am not an electrician) it is about half as large as yours. It took me months. The materials were about $1500. You will need to replace the Service meter to a t least a 200 amp plug. and at least a 40 breaker panel maybe need a 400 amp service as this is a big house.
    400 amp service !!!!!!! When you get up that high , you're talking 3-phase power .

3 phrase-Why yes big homes can require this your point? Again obtaining a few itemized bids and picking the brains of the contractors will enlighten you as to what loading and service panels etc you need to bring it up to code and how installing GFI an AFI breakers makes one safer an sleep better too...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    3 phrase-Why yes big homes can require this .
    Yikes , you guys must have some pretty big homes down there.
    I guess those homes wouldn't likely be Energy Star compliant.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

OP, get another quote or two. If you are talking about spending $40,000 its worth a trip charge to have another electrician come out and spend some time with you.

Howdy Caunk, your correct far too many to big houses down here. The worse part is building them huge and calling them -Green. An installing energy efficient appliances without even pondering the huge issue of MC Mansions.
    But the good news is with the recession size an over abundance is being pondered.