+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Killing overgrown weeds in large area

Our front yard has an area approximately 10'x50' that is made up of large bolders that are covered by overgrown weeds, ivy, poison ivy and poison oak. In order to get rid of the weeds and poison oak/ivy, we feel we should kill everything on the rocks and go bare for a while. What's the best way to kill this much vegetation? Should we cover the area in thick plastic for several months to smother it? Or is a chemical solution best? Or maybe apply a chemical then cover in plastic?

Default Re: Killing overgrown weeds in large area

It depends on what you have planned for the area. If you're just trying to kill the weeds and leave it at that, then either smothering or herbicide will work. If you plan to till the soil in any manner then there is no need to kill the weeds because you'll only be killing the green stuff, when you till the soil you'll be bringing up new seeds that will germinate. You'd be better in this instance to pull the weeds or cut them back, rake up the debris, then go about you landscaping project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

IF you go the herbicide route , I have had excellent results with Spectracide TRIPLE-STRIKE . Works super fast and doesn't leave a residual to harm future plans for the planting area .

If it's poison ivy and poison oak, you need to kill it dead with an herbicide. Ortho and someone else make one specifically for those plants (and other vines and brush).

Don't just cut poison ivy or oak back and rake it up because you risk getting it on your skin that way (and then you'll be exceedingly miserable). Kill it, let it die back all the way, the roots will die - and then you must wear gloves and long sleeves & long pants to clean it up. Don't burn poison ivy or poison oak because the smoke can also carry the oils and can get into your breathing passages, causing the same problems as touching the plant, but much worse. Put the dead vines in a plastic bag and sent to the dump. throw the gloves away, they'll have oils on them, and thoroughly wash your clothes in hot, soapy water. a couple of times.

It might take a couple of years of diligent spraying to rid your yard of the poison ivy and poison oak.

Good luck with your landscaping project. what do you plan to do with all those boulders?

Roundup would be another choice, but herbicides are only going to kill growing plants. A per-emergent would also be needed to kill the seeds. Some vegetation killers will sterilize the soil for 2 years, nothing grows.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Roundup would be another choice, but herbicides are only going to kill growing plants. A per-emergent would also be needed to kill the seeds. Some vegetation killers will sterilize the soil for 2 years, nothing grows.
    Jack
    Yep ... that's the nice thing with Roundup .... it's a contact herbicide ... doesn't affect the soil.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Agronomist Guest

Roundup is a contact herbicide, and you are right in that it does not have residual soil activity. Crossbow would be another choice to get rid of poison ivy and the like. Roundup, or other glyphosate products, does not work well on these plants. It will burn it back quite a bit, but is not as good on brush and woody plants as some of the other chemicals that have been mentioned. If you get a rash from being within the same zip code as poison ivy like I do, then just kill it with herbicide before messing with it.
    Last edited by Unregistered; 07-08-2008 at 05:26 PM.

AMoreNaturalSolution Guest

If you don't need an instant solution, but would like to avoid pesticides which can be harmful to local animals, pets and people, you can use the same solution to bust weeds that my husband and I have used on our driveway for years. Whenever we boil water for pasta, we take the leftover water and pour it on some of the weeds. It only takes a very small amount of water to kill each patch of weeds, and we have never had one come back after being scalded this way.

I use Round-Up on poison ivy. For Poison Ivy, it helps to add a few tablespoons of Murphy's Oil Soap to a mix of Round Up that is mixed 50% stronger than the regular strength. You also want to get rid of the Virginia Creeper that always seems to accompany Poison Ivy.

I have also found that Poison Ivy vines that have been dead for two years will still get you.

Thanks for the hint about the oil soap. I'll do that next time I spray.
    I used Ortho for poison ivy about 2 1/2 weeks ago, double strength, and most of the vines are just now wilting. I'll take that one back, must be a bad batch.

Ouch for the old dead vines!

Animals don't get the poison ivy rash, birds and other animals eat the vines and berries, poop the seeds and they'll grow.

If your pet goes through poison ivy they can get the oils on their coat, and then, of course, you.