Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default hot water heat registers

    I acquired my grandmas house a few years ago and I am trying to sell the house. I know it is a big turn off, because it has hot water heat which is not the problem. A few years back the water in the pipes must have froze and a number of registers had blown the ends off them. I have searched numerous places and my dad before me had search for some old registers to replace them with. But know luck. I could sure use some help in finding a way to replace these registers.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: hot water heat registers

    Deb if you are talking about cast iron radiators you need to check for salvage shops. They are many around the country and every one I've have visited have had many available. Here's a few ****** sources
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: hot water heat registers


    could you provide more info (and possibly a photo or two) as to exactly what you're trying to replace---there are at least 5 different registers used in hot water systems, including stand-up convectors, cast iron rads,stainless steel rads, baseboard, floor vectors, kickspace heaters, etc.

    As JLMCD noted, cast iron rads can be obtained at local used plumbing supplies & salvage yards.

    In other cases, the blown registers can be replaced with any one of the 5 other convectors---available at plumbing & heating supply houses in your area.

    Baseboard is very easy to install & is available everywhere, including HD/Lowe's, but should cost less at a heating supply house, approx. $6/ft.

    If the system did indeed freeze, it has to be tested with air pressure before it is put back into service---quite often there are hidden breaks that can't be seen during inspections.

    A regular tire valve with a psi gauge is attached to the piping & 20 PSI of air is pumped into the piping with a tire pump to check for leaks.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 07-06-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts