+ Reply to Thread

Question Marble countertops?

I have had three contractors tell me not to use marble in my circa 1902 kitchen. I've been told that it's too porous, stains easily, scratches and generally isn't a good application. On the other hand, I have seen marble used in kitchens in at least two places on this site, in the magazine and in another well-known magazine that just came in the mail today. What gives?!? I know that Vistorian house of the era mine was bult often had marble and maple counters. I'm not concerned about the counters remaining pristine - I am okay with them having a patina (like the rest of the house). If I seal it regularly and I'm careful about what I use to clean it, why wouldn't it be okay? If I can find marble that's less expensive than granite I will have money left for reclaimed wood flooring...
    Anubody out there have marble countertops in their kitchen?pros and cons, please.

Default Re: Marble countertops?

What the contractor says is true, but with proper sealing and proper care it would last forever. Stain are the bigest problem with marble. We had one in our kitchen for 13 years with no real problems, but we were careful.

P.S. we have wood counter tops in our current home.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, Jack.
    I'm just trying to save a few bucks and still achieve a sort of period look... I may be on the wrong track altogether in thinking marble is cheaper than granite. I can't seem to get a straight answer without somebody wanting to come and measure and give me a quote or sell me Silestone counters! I'm open to slate, soapstone, granite... something REAL, not manufatured. Heck, I'd even do maple if it wouldn't break the budget.
    Pardon my rambling.

Marble is, in my estimation, too soft and prone to staining to make a good countertop material.
    I have had one client over the years who overruled me on this and she was not happy with her Carrara marble countertop, with the red wine ring next to the sink, by the time I arrived to photograph the kitchen when it was finished.
    In period homes I usually recommend that we do honed granite in a light color. The result LOOKS like marble without the drawbacks.
    There is a picture of such a countertop on my web site at:
    http://www.kitchenartworks.com/image...tchen-sink.jpg
    Honing mutes the granite speckles and colors into a soft, matte, finish.
    You are correct that marble costs less than granite and honing costs even more as it it an extra step to tale the polished surface off.
    Peggy Deras, CKD, CID
    Kitchen Artworks

Marble is, in my estimation, too soft and prone to staining to make a good countertop material.
    I have had one client over the years who overruled me on this and she was not happy with her Carrara marble countertop, with the red wine ring next to the sink, by the time I arrived to photograph the kitchen when it was finished.
    In period homes I usually recommend that we do honed granite in a light color. The result LOOKS like marble without the drawbacks.
    You are correct that marble costs less than granite and honing costs even more as it it an extra step to take the polished surface off.
    Peggy Deras, CKD, CID
    Kitchen Artworks

You are correct that marble costs less than granite and honing costs even more as it it an extra step to take the polished surface off.
    Peggy Deras, CKD, CID
    Kitchen Artworks

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlerswife View Post
    Thanks, Jack.
    I'm just trying to save a few bucks and still achieve a sort of period look... I may be on the wrong track altogether in thinking marble is cheaper than granite. I can't seem to get a straight answer without somebody wanting to come and measure and give me a quote or sell me Silestone counters! I'm open to slate, soapstone, granite... something REAL, not manufatured. Heck, I'd even do maple if it wouldn't break the budget.
    Pardon my rambling.
    My vote'd be for soapstone. Has a warm feel to it in its appearance..is less costly and is increably durable and will not stain. Any scratches can be easily sanded out by the homeowner if you desire.
    Out of all the counters I've installed and have personally owned I like SS out of any other choice. Personal taste of course.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I know this is an older thread but thought it would be good for just general clarification. Marble tops are used extesively in europe for hundreds of years. are they more pourous? yes. do they stain easier? yes. are they less expensive? this one is not as easy as an answer, depends upon marble chosen. some granite is much less expensive than some of the marble. marble and granite prices depend on where in the world they come from and availability, as well as demand. and the price range can be drastic. now whether they are suitable for kitchen counters is a matter of personal opinion, marble gets a patina on them as they age, and in europe this is a desirable thing, it shows value to them, and stains show character. I myself prefer granite for counter tops, soapstone has an appeal as well. but marble tops have a market as does lime stone, quarts surfaces, onyx, and even laminate. personal preferance is what makes a market diverse. but they all have their place

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlerswife View Post
    I have had three contractors tell me not to use marble in my circa 1902 kitchen. I've been told that it's too porous, stains easily, scratches and generally isn't a good application. On the other hand, I have seen marble used in kitchens in at least two places on this site, in the magazine and in another well-known magazine that just came in the mail today. What gives?!? I know that Vistorian house of the era mine was bult often had marble and maple counters. I'm not concerned about the counters remaining pristine - I am okay with them having a patina (like the rest of the house). If I seal it regularly and I'm careful about what I use to clean it, why wouldn't it be okay? If I can find marble that's less expensive than granite I will have money left for reclaimed wood flooring...
    Anubody out there have marble countertops in their kitchen?pros and cons, please.
    I have green marble countertops that are shot through with white quartz and are absolutely gorgeous. We've lived in the house 8 years and the marble still looks great. And I cook! For what it's worth, my contractor told me not to use marble also. I believe the green is harder than the white, but I've seen old houses with white (and red) marble that looks great. I never have done anything to my counters except polish them once in a while. They are easy to care for as well as great to look at. A friend of mine who just renovated her 1950's kitchen has white marble on her baking center with a dropped counter for rolling out dough, etc., and soapstone for the rest. I hope this helps.