+ Reply to Thread

Default Forced air heat or base board hot water heat

I am thinking of buying a new house it has base board hot water heat with no cooling is it better to have that or should i think about putting in a furnace forced air heat with c/a. I know nothing about hot water heat

Default Re: Forced air heat or base board hot water heat

You will be pleased to know that hot water baseboard heat (hydronic heat) is an excellent way to heat your home, and is considered by most heating engineers as more economical and more efficient than forced hot air.

A hot water boiler in the basement heats the water to ~180 degrees & pumps it thru 3/4" piping to quietly heat the house.

Gone are the metal ducts, air noise, uneven heat, drafts, and airborne dust & other allergy-aggravating particles.

Hydronic heat can be easily extended to any future room additions, or even radiant add-ons, if desired.

Forced hot air does often allow the same ducting to be used for AC in the summer, but this can be addressed with hydronic by using mini-split AC units or small-diameter hi-velocity AC systems.

The more important question is gas-fired boilers as opposed to oil-fired boilers, and what will each fuel cost in the coming winters.

If natural gas is available, this seems to be the way to go for the time being.